Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

"Disc quiet" for new pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Disc quiet" for new pads?

So, I'm going to be throwing on my new set of Brembo blanks and EBC Greenstuff pads. My question is, should I get something like Disc Quiet to apply to the back of the pads where they come in contact with the caliper. I used to work at a shop that had us put this stuff on every single set of pads before we installed them. We would always put it on Bendix Ceramic pads, but I've never used "performance" brake pad sets before. Would it hurt to use something of the nature to reduce squeaks and creaks or are the EBC pads quality enough to pretty much be a slap 'em on and roll type? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't comment on what they'd be like without the disc brake quiet rubbery stuff. But I can say I didn't have any issues with using them on performance pads. I don't see how it can hurt using it. I've used them on Hawk HPS and PBR Metal Masters pads.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The orange gooey stuff that congeals (for lack of a better term)???
Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What should I do to "break in" these pads and rotors? I did a search but didn't find anything...
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no way I'd use that stuff on even a street-only car. You're putting a substance of non-uniform thickness, and that may break down, in between your calipers and brake pads! What if it's not the same thickness at the top as the bottom? Now you've got uneven pressure on the pad.

Also, it's a plastic (of sorts). When you press the pedal, it's going to compress. That's the opposite direction that most of us want to go.

A properly installed and maintained brake setup should not squeal. About the only time it will, is when using EXTREMELY aggressive race pads. And they only squeal when they're cold. My Carbotech XP10s used to squeal when I was in the pits, but at no other time. My XP12s don't squeal at all.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I've never thought of that before. That's a good point. Interested in other opinions too (people who race)
Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
There's no way I'd use that stuff on even a street-only car. You're putting a substance of non-uniform thickness, and that may break down, in between your calipers and brake pads! What if it's not the same thickness at the top as the bottom? Now you've got uneven pressure on the pad.

Also, it's a plastic (of sorts). When you press the pedal, it's going to compress. That's the opposite direction that most of us want to go.

A properly installed and maintained brake setup should not squeal. About the only time it will, is when using EXTREMELY aggressive race pads. And they only squeal when they're cold. My Carbotech XP10s used to squeal when I was in the pits, but at no other time. My XP12s don't squeal at all.
So leaving out the "foreign substance" and properly breaking the pads and rotors in.. I shouldn't have any noises (i.e. squealling) at all?

Quick Reply: "Disc quiet" for new pads?