LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

keep burning #7 wire!! help

Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep burning #7 wire!! help

found out i had a misfire from 7 so sure enough the wire is burnt, i then replace it and once again another burnt...i really dont know were to run the wire i dont even know the stock locatrion for it .....any suggestions f.y.i. i have stock manifolds NO lt's or shorties
Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by grnmonster
found out i had a misfire from 7 so sure enough the wire is burnt, i then replace it and once again another burnt...i really dont know were to run the wire i dont even know the stock locatrion for it .....any suggestions f.y.i. i have stock manifolds NO lt's or shorties
Are you running the factory boot protector? or is it the wire thats burning, i don't see how it would burn with manifolds, they have a factory heat shield on them, plus the metal boot protectors, unless the wires not in its loom.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Are you running the factory boot protector? or is it the wire thats burning, i don't see how it would burn with manifolds, they have a factory heat shield on them, plus the metal boot protectors, unless the wires not in its loom.
not sure what the factory boot protector is?? its the wire itself that is burning im not sure where to route it... right now im going between the block and the manifold.. can i go around the manifold and lay it on the heat shield?
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

where is the stock routing location for plug wire #7
Old 11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i remember, it routes all by itself in a metal sleeve that bolts to the block ( i think #8 is the same way), you can route it anyway it will work the best. On the boot, its a factory metal sleeve that snaps over each boot to keep them from burning.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Launching!

If you can't route it stock, you might consider some heat reflective tape, some of the Accel fiberglass boots ( I have had good luck although they are bulky). Summit also sells a heat insulator jacket for plug wires. This is in case you can't get it routed like the factory. Mine had a 90 degree metal boot on the boot and it was routed in a metal shield mounted to the side of the block. I have both of those things off a 96' Firebird LT1 and am not using either one on my application if you need them and all else fails.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: keep burning #7 wire!! help