Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

how much more exhaust duration bias do you want for ported 243 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much more exhaust duration bias do you want for ported 243 heads?

Seems there are cams with only say 2 more degrees duration on the exhaust side like the Futral F14 (232"/234" .598"/.598" 112LSA) but then you've got a cam like the LG G5X2 that's got 8 degrees more on the exhaust side (232/240 .595/.608 112LSA).

Are the cams with 6-8 more degrees or the exhaust side better suited to a stock head or ported head?

I've also noticed that the slightly smaller cams like the F13 and G5X1 have LESS lift on the exhaust side, what does as related to the power curve and why would they want to run less lift on the exhaust?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

The G5X2 is an excellent cam. Lots of low and middle range torque. Friend has one on his Z06 with stock 243 heads, but YT rockers. 430 something rwhp and upper 390s rwtq.

Lots of get up and gone, or out of corners, off the line.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Seems there are cams with only say 2 more degrees duration on the exhaust side like the Futral F14 (232"/234" .598"/.598" 112LSA) but then you've got a cam like the LG G5X2 that's got 8 degrees more on the exhaust side (232/240 .595/.608 112LSA).

Are the cams with 6-8 more degrees or the exhaust side better suited to a stock head or ported head?

I've also noticed that the slightly smaller cams like the F13 and G5X1 have LESS lift on the exhaust side, what does as related to the power curve and why would they want to run less lift on the exhaust?
The cam should be matched to the complete engine/vehicle package. Using stock 243 heads there are many cam choices availalle. Some are much better than others. If you spend the money to have 243s ported the results of the porting may influence what cam is needed.

All porting is not equal, as you well know.

I suggest the quality of the porting, as measured by results on a dyno, the track and/or the street, depending on what results were desired, should help the cam designer spec a custom cam for the application.

Some cam designers know a lot more about what works, and more importantly WHY is works than others. Rather than trying to figure if 6-8 more degrees of duration and/or more or less exhaust lift help or hurt performance, I suggest that choosing the right cam designer is the best route to the results desired. Ask the provider of the ported heads for cam advice. They, better than anyone, should know what works with their product or who should design your cam.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
The cam should be matched to the complete engine/vehicle package. Using stock 243 heads there are many cam choices availalle. Some are much better than others. If you spend the money to have 243s ported the results of the porting may influence what cam is needed.

All porting is not equal, as you well know.

I suggest the quality of the porting, as measured by results on a dyno, the track and/or the street, depending on what results were desired, should help the cam designer spec a custom cam for the application.

Some cam designers know a lot more about what works, and more importantly WHY is works than others. Rather than trying to figure if 6-8 more degrees of duration and/or more or less exhaust lift help or hurt performance, I suggest that choosing the right cam designer is the best route to the results desired. Ask the provider of the ported heads for cam advice. They, better than anyone, should know what works with their product or who should design your cam.
Good info, I've spoke through PM's to Bret about getting him to spec a cam for me. I'm interesting in learning the basics of camshaft theory though. Can you recommend a book or site to read up? I'm more interested in not only what the terms mean, but how changing duration from say 220/220 to 230/230 will change the peak power and how much you'd suffer down low, etc etc.

thanks

Mark
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
I'm interesting in learning the basics of camshaft theory though. Can you recommend a book or site to read up? I'm more interested in not only what the terms mean, but how changing duration from say 220/220 to 230/230 will change the peak power and how much you'd suffer down low, etc etc.

thanks

Mark
Mark,

I don't know of any simple written source for effectively choosing a cam for a given situation. Those who do it well use various methods or a combination of methods. Perhaps a good way to learn about what an engine wants is to get very deeply into the basics of how and why engines work. For that I can recommend a book:

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Simulat...6872033&sr=1-1

Read the reviews.

Be advised that initially this textbook may scare the heck out of you, but if you can get thru it a few times, which may take a few years, you may be able to answer your own questions. Will that make you a good cam designer? Nope, but it will help.

It effective cam specifying was easy, everyone would do it. Come to think of it, almost everyone seems to try. They certainly come up with very different cams for a given engine/vehicle combination. Some are much more effective than others as you know.

Jon
Old 11-16-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,

It effective cam specifying was easy, everyone would do it. Come to think of it, almost everyone seems to try. They certainly come up with very different cams for a given engine/vehicle combination. Some are much more effective than others as you know.

Jon

The first thing to look for in a cam is apparently a catchy name,
Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Ultra honkin megadeath vader.....V15!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WKMCD

I like Clark Kent better than Superman for yours.

Of course for the "Superman Series" of cams there could be Superman II, Superman III, etc.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 11-17-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck Norris * thread.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear Justin Timberlake cams are good.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Restricted User

I've heard about that Justin Timberlake cam!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here we go
Old 11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Mark,

I don't know of any simple written source for effectively choosing a cam for a given situation. Those who do it well use various methods or a combination of methods. Perhaps a good way to learn about what an engine wants is to get very deeply into the basics of how and why engines work. For that I can recommend a book:

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Simulat...6872033&sr=1-1

Read the reviews.

Be advised that initially this textbook may scare the heck out of you, but if you can get thru it a few times, which may take a few years, you may be able to answer your own questions. Will that make you a good cam designer? Nope, but it will help.

Jon

Holy expensive book. I'm going to have to allocate some money into my budget to get that. It does look like the perfect book for truely comprehending every aspect from what I read of the reviews.