Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Texas Speed 402

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas Speed 402

Ok guys I am ordering a 402 short block form texas speed tomorrow, I am putting it in my 01 Trans Am. I wanted to ask a few questions. Will my LS1 timing cover fit, Will I need any wire extentions for the knock sensors, crank sensor, and also will the oil pan fit from my LS1? Thanks for all your guys help
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

What block are u getting the 402 in-if its a alloy ls2 block i think u will need the timing cover and extensions etc etc etc

if its a 4 inch iron block-then no

Hope that helps-
Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just a heads up my friend and I both got texas speed motors... his shortblock was pre-assembled and I got mine dissasembled.... with the wrong length rods at that! (which they promptly replaced) however 1,000 miles later and his motor is out and apart. the motor I built is still going strong, basically I wouldnt trust their assembly procedures, be safe and do it yourself, so you know your bearing tolerances are correct, his bearings were totally wiped out after 1 month of driving, thats some bullshit. ps. if its the LQ9 iron block your ls1 stuff will all fit. except if you got a double roller timing set, you will have to clearance the hell out of the timing cover
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Its going to be the iron block. Thanks for the heads up on the bearing failure. I thought that alot of people had great luck with these short blocks? Did they warrantee anything? Are the th SLP Short blocks better?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Also do these short blocks come with an oil pump, If not what is a really good one and where do I get it>
Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a couple of short blocks from TSP and everyone of them still working fine and strong AND I'M OVERSEAS TOO.

Talk to Trevor, Matt , Jon or Jason I'm sure any of them will help you out.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Banned

Talk to Erik at HKE
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
Talk to Erik at HKE

x2

and really hear good stuff from SPEED INC-contact fraser their-
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just get a modified LS6 oil pump, texas speed did not warrantee anything, they told him to pull the motor and find out whats causing the loss of oil pressure, so we did, and found the wiped out bearings, then they said that they wont warrantee it because we took it apart!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help guys I will keep you updated on the build I am sure I will have more questions
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
just a heads up my friend and I both got texas speed motors... his shortblock was pre-assembled and I got mine dissasembled.... with the wrong length rods at that! (which they promptly replaced) however 1,000 miles later and his motor is out and apart. the motor I built is still going strong, basically I wouldnt trust their assembly procedures, be safe and do it yourself, so you know your bearing tolerances are correct, his bearings were totally wiped out after 1 month of driving, thats some bullshit. ps. if its the LQ9 iron block your ls1 stuff will all fit. except if you got a double roller timing set, you will have to clearance the hell out of the timing cover
We sold you a rotating assembly. One of our guys pulled the incorrect rods when they gathered your parts (6.200" instead of 6.125"). We took care of that 100% if you recall correctly.

On your friend's engine, that's absurd. We NEVER tell a customer to tear their short-block apart. Even in cases where we just sold someone a short-block, we'd bring the entire long-block back to us for inspection, engine dyno testing, etc rather than ask a customer to tear apart an short-block we built. Now we might at times request a customer put a mechanical pressure gauge on the engine, and have them check various customer installed components. But to take apart a short-block we built, and expect us to warranty it after you've done so...no shop in their right mind will cover that.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
Talk to Erik at HKE
I can help anyone with and HKE engine as well, we also have a 408 coming available here shortly. I only sell HKE engines
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the order, Chance! I'll get those e-mail conformations to you as soon as they are available

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry it sounds so bad but thats exactly what happenned, Texas speed is not a bad company, you all did try to correct the stuff that happenned with me, even though I did shell out the extra $$$ to get the rotating assembly re-balanced with the correct, and upgraded rods however that was my option to do because you all did offer for me to send the stuff back and you all to balance free of charge. Im not out there to toss dirt on anyone im not a shop owner, and every shop i've ever dealt with besides thunder racing, jegs, or summit have made WAY bigger mistakes and even downright stolen money so again I have no preference for whom I do buisness with.
However I was trying to share personal experience with a potential customer, I didnt say not to order, I just advised he may want to perform his own assembly.
Kyle was in fact told to dissasemble his motor, and take pictures of noted deficiencies, which he had done, and then the warantee was refused. It sucks for him, but hes really only out $about $400 for new bearings, a new oil pump, polishing the crank. Not the worst thing to ever happen, I personally have had thousands litterally stolen from me by the now defunct Pro turbo systems, and Ohio forced inductions has straight up ripped me off as well. When you're building a car **** happens.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

I have had a few HKE engines. Just order it about four months before you need it willbe done around then. But still really good motors
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

My TSP motor is running great and it doesnt seem to be burning any oil at all w/out a catch can. I couldnt be happier...and most people on here are happy with there TSP shortblocks.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should really know who is assembling a motor when you buy it.Like 99Blanco for example,You know the motors he sells were built by a reputable builder and that means something.That cant be said for quite a few vendors.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

TSP's shortblock's are machined and assembled at Sunset RaceCraft; which has built several other vendors engines also; not 20 or 30, but thousands of LS based engines have gone through their doors. All engines have a specific serial number and matching build sheet kept on file with all measurements and clearances documented.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would rather have the motor built by the shop that does 20 or 30 than thousands, I worked at a small machine shop and they built every race motor as if it was there own ensuring every detail of the motor was perfect, they would even re-tap every stinking hole in the entire block, and then de-burr every sharp edge so the guy assembling the longblock dont cut his hands!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

I have 1k mi on my TSP 402 with no problems yet. No leaks, no smoke, no complaints, great oil pressure, plenty of power. Breakin is done just waiting on final tune. I have a track day at VIR Dec 1st, so we will see.

Last edited by WADDISME; 11-18-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed 402