Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My 02 CETA Vs Ford Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 02 CETA Vs Ford Lightning

i saw this guy coming out of Ottos Saturday and he had a run with another FBody running with me. He obviously was running good power as walked his car pretty severely. I pulled up beside him at 70 and seemed a pretty even go but was very short due to a bit of traffic. We tried 2 more times but he would never line up right beside me, always had his front bumper at my rear bumper.

I jumped trying to get him to come up beside me and go, but he kept slowing down and stayed in my blind spot to 55-60 and then heard the blower. I hit it after hearing him but he came by and put a link on me. We stayed status quo at that point but had to let off due to traffic right before 4th gear. Tried again real quickly afterward with the same result not ever really having a chance to see a good run.

He obviously is running good power as the truck was very strong. He turned off in the Richmond area in my neck of the woods so hopefully he sees this and we have another chance down the road sometime.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Aerodynamics would have eventually kicked in and you would have started pulling unless he was seriously modded - takes a bunch of power to overcome pushing a 5000# brick that fast - trust me, I know.

Bird
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

That was in your CETA???..wow, yeah that L had some serious power. the stock block is good to mid 400rw, so I'm sure he had aftermarket block and all to do that on the highway to your car.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ponygt65
That was in your CETA???..wow, yeah that L had some serious power. the stock SHORTblock is good to mid 400rw, so I'm sure he had aftermarket SHORTblock and all to do that on the highway to your car.
Just throwing that in there so people don't get the idea that Modular blocks are weak . Good runs OP, sounds like a fast Lightning. Now give me your CETA please
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

we know they're strong...calm down

good run OP with an obviously strong truck
Old 11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

I have been told that there is a guy down that way running a 600 WHP Lightning. I was all motor on that run and does not seem he would have been that powerful, but could see him being 500 WHP or so...considering weight and everything else. He jumped me but I did kill the pull as rpms built. Tried to spray on 3rd run just to do him in but my N20 system is a bit fouled up right now it seems. I will be ready motor/spray next time I see him and should be a bit different story.

thanks, the CETA is a fun car. It runs well...should be mid 11 based on MPH at the track...time sucked as feathered launch, but now with the spray added it should really be impressive with good tires (just bought new set). Just need an upgraded diff now.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

The guy I was running with just dynoed out at 350 whp and had a pretty good run with the L. I would say 60-115 and the L had him by 4-5 cars.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Just throwing that in there so people don't get the idea that Modular blocks are weak . Good runs OP, sounds like a fast Lightning. Now give me your CETA please
Smartass. LOL
Originally Posted by 02txceta
I have been told that there is a guy down that way running a 600 WHP Lightning. I was all motor on that run and does not seem he would have been that powerful, but could see him being 500 WHP or so...considering weight and everything else. He jumped me but I did kill the pull as rpms built. Tried to spray on 3rd run just to do him in but my N20 system is a bit fouled up right now it seems. I will be ready motor/spray next time I see him and should be a bit different story.

thanks, the CETA is a fun car. It runs well...should be mid 11 based on MPH at the track...time sucked as feathered launch, but now with the spray added it should really be impressive with good tires (just bought new set). Just need an upgraded diff now.
The guy I was running with just dynoed out at 350 whp and had a pretty good run with the L. I would say 60-115 and the L had him by 4-5 cars.
500 sounds about right then.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 AM

i saw this guy coming out of Ottos Saturday and he had a run with another FBody running with me. He obviously was running good power as walked his car pretty severely. I pulled up beside him at 70 and seemed a pretty even go but was very short due to a bit of traffic. We tried 2 more times but he would never line up right beside me, always had his front bumper at my rear bumper.

I jumped trying to get him to come up beside me and go, but he kept slowing down and stayed in my blind spot to 55-60 and then heard the blower. I hit it after hearing him but he came by and put a link on me. We stayed status quo at that point but had to let off due to traffic right before 4th gear. Tried again real quickly afterward with the same result not ever really having a chance to see a good run.

He obviously is running good power as the truck was very strong. He turned off in the Richmond area in my neck of the woods so hopefully he sees this and we have another chance down the road sometime.
Hey that was me and that was a good run. Thanks for the compliments on my truck. It does run pretty good and believe it or not it is a stock block truck. Your T/A runs strong for sure. I am possibly going to Sealy this Saturday for thr Midnight 1320 that HPD is sponsoring and if you are going we can hook up maybe and run motor on motor if you like. I prefer running from a dig but it is all good. Just let me know.

On another note a buddy of mine was asking me your name as he has a Grand National also and is in the Buick club. He was wondering if he knew you. Just let me know and take care.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Second Club

Nice runs you guys, It's cool when you can both be on the same site after the run and be civil and agree. Good luck at the track.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Wow, stock block. It was hard to say for sure what would have happened since it was like a split second run...but that truck was quick. What kind of power are you generating? You ran the guy in the Formula that i was with and he has got 350 whp and you put some pretty good length on him...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Curiously, were you spraying on those runs? I am not part of the buick club...is a pretty dead group, as far as turbobuicks.com
Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Oh, as far as the track goes...I really am refraining from dig running until I get my diff replaced. Am afraid that will break something for sure with the power level of the car. For now I am a 40 and above type of guy.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Curiously, were you spraying on those runs? I am not part of the buick club...is a pretty dead group, as far as turbobuicks.com
No I was not spraying, all boost no juice. I have never had nitrous on it and never will. In its current config it is putting down approx 550 to the wheels.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fasttruck
No I was not spraying, all boost no juice. I have never had nitrous on it and never will. In its current config it is putting down approx 550 to the wheels.
I believe it. I seen one at capital running 700+whp on kennebell setup using race fuel. It was about four years ago, but it's one of those things you never forget. They were really cool people. Said he was having traction issues all night long with it (captial raceway). Everyone does there, lol. He was really upset. Said it was 9.9x truck and it was running low 10s all night. I would of never believe it if I didn't see it for myself that night. Fast stuff alirght.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Oh, as far as the track goes...I really am refraining from dig running until I get my diff replaced. Am afraid that will break something for sure with the power level of the car. For now I am a 40 and above type of guy.
I understand no biggie. Hey I am one of the old guys LOL
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

trust me, I believe that all day. That truck was the quickest L i had seen. I have run a couple in the past and never had a problem. I figured from my previous posts that you had to be running at least 500 whp based on weight and your jump, etc. Very Nice! I would have to spray it seems to make a go of it. I only spray 75 in the car but makes a pretty good difference.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 AM
10 Second Club

Old guys, me too...lol
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Village Idiot

Are those Ford Lightning trucks really all that fast? I've seen one or two but never took them serious...They look like an fancy F150... I remember the Cyclone trucks being peppy.. Is that a boosted six banger or LSx motor in the Ford Lightning? I would think the weigh a ton and are heavy as ****...
Attached Thumbnails My 02 CETA Vs Ford Lightning-mmfs_060064_01_z-latest_ford_lightning_pickup_parts-gen_2_ford_lightning_pickup_truck.jpg  
Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Stock they run mid 14's. They can easily be manipulated to move much better. This gentlemans truck was quite the exception and I believe could run with a new stock Z06....Is that quick to you?

I say that as I have run a new Z06 with just motor and he barely pulled me when this guy jumped out pretty good. I would need 500 to the wheels to hold him...thus my 75 shot. I call that fast..

With a 75 shot my car is capable of an 11 flat run... I would expect he runs in the low 11's with that truck.

Last edited by 02txceta; 11-20-2008 at 10:06 AM.