LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

calling all with dumped exhaust!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default calling all with dumped exhaust!!!

you guys with dumped exhaust.. where do you have your hangers mounted? and do you have this weird buzzing noise at around 1800rpm?? mine looks like this...

it bolts to the rear floor pan bolt hole. and it makes this buzzing/vibration at 1800rpm exactly and then does it no more. it is extremely annoying b/c that is cruising rpms. i have tried unbolting it but it still does it. it has to be vibrating up the exhaust hanger itself. so should i cut the hanger off and just leave it like that? the bullet is welded onto the y. so its not gonna run the risk of coming off.

it has never made this noise before unitl i got that bullet welded onto the end of my y pipe.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if its just not the characteristics of the bullets. i bought my T/A (LT's, TD's, and Bullets already on [dumped]) and on the drive home down the highway at a certain rpm the car had a weird resonance and still does to it and funny enough it sounded like a honda.....
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pretty sure its just the characteristics of the bullet mufflers. I've had a couple different exhaust styles on the car and everytime I install a bullet muffler it has a vibration or buzzing sound like you stated. Mine does it usually around 2700 to 3000 but I'd say how your engine is built depends on what RPM's the noises and vibrations happen at.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the other end of your hanger welded to the body or connected to a bracket with rubber?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
12 Second Club

My car has a 3" bullet dumped before the axle. I've never heard any weird buzzing or rattle during any highway/cruising speeds. I have mine just off the y-pipe(no hanger) and its been holding up just fine. You might want to check if its rubbing or hitting the floorpan at any point; although it seems to be free of obstructions.

Goatman455- Here's an *** shot of my t/a, look familiar LOL????

Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Is the other end of your hanger welded to the body or connected to a bracket with rubber?
Mine actually runs over the axle and turns and is then dumped. I used a hanger because it does help absorb noise. You shouldn't really attach it solidly because it'll transfer noise alot more. that may be your problem.

Here's a vid of mine, you can see how it's set up at the end of the video.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

the red circle is where mine is bolted. and i have a thick piece of rubber hose behind the plate where it bolts to it. i have tried unbolting the hanger and it still makes that noise. do i have to completely remove the hanger for it to stop or what?? or is it something i have to live with? do the magnaflow bullets make that noise?

EDIT: and since taking this pic i have removed that heat shield that goes over the axle and it did not fix the problem either.
also checked for obstructions and it is clear of the driveshaft and body. it does not budge with the hanger bolted up.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the hangers that are that thick strap that on the end is a exhaust clamp. I have mine hanging off of my slp subframe connectors. My ground clearance blows. When I had a 3" bullet and ran it out back I don't remember any sort of weird vibration, now with dumped dual bullets I have no idea cause the car has been having issues.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

so judging by the way mine is set up...should i switch to the strap style hanger or just do away with a hanger??
Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

personally i'd switch
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benner
personally i'd switch
so you think by removing the one i have now and installing the strap kind from advance would fix my problem?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

It may not fix all of it but it wouldn't surprise me if it did help to dull it down a little bit. Yeah the kind from Advanced some suffice.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have mine bolted to where the rear seats were under the carpet (like where ur back would be against in the rear seats) i have bullets and 0 issues
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

there's how mine is bolted in. I dont remember ever hearing a weird noise like your describing. although, I have alot of sound deadening material (originally for the stereo) and that helps alot.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i have mine bolted to where the rear seats were under the carpet (like where ur back would be against in the rear seats) i have bullets and 0 issues
which type hanger are you using?

maybe if i mount the new one in a different place. idk
Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think it is the characteristics of the bullets. Mine did it until I put in the converter and snapped the hangers I had on it. I then took some pipe strapping with the holes already in the strap and wrapped it around the pipe and bolted the straps together hanging from the previous brackets. I have absolutely no vibration now...LOL I will take some pics and post them on here. The exhaust is tight but has some slack to absorb the vibrations.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hempkat94z
I don't think it is the characteristics of the bullets. Mine did it until I put in the converter and snapped the hangers I had on it. I then took some pipe strapping with the holes already in the strap and wrapped it around the pipe and bolted the straps together hanging from the previous brackets. I have absolutely no vibration now...LOL I will take some pics and post them on here. The exhaust is tight but has some slack to absorb the vibrations.
yes definitely post some pics! i think i am gonna try that tomorrow. and see what happens. do you have it bolted to the bolt hole on the rear floor board?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update!!!

ok. so...i cut the hanger off yesterday and it still makes that freakin sound. so i did some research on here and i take it that it is just the RESONATION with a dumped exhaust. and that most with a dumped exhaust experience that. so here is a vid of what i am talking about, so you guys can confirm that it is in fact just resonation from it being dumped.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds mostly like resonation to me. Also heard a little of what sounded like loose change in the console.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
My car has a 3" bullet dumped before the axle. I've never heard any weird buzzing or rattle during any highway/cruising speeds. I have mine just off the y-pipe(no hanger) and its been holding up just fine. You might want to check if its rubbing or hitting the floorpan at any point; although it seems to be free of obstructions.

Goatman455- Here's an *** shot of my t/a, look familiar LOL????

LOL! i freaked out when i saw it, i was wondering why you even posted the pic, because it had nothing to do with the thread, then i saw your comment, lol, i can't wait for mine to look that good

Quick Reply: calling all with dumped exhaust!!!