Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Daytime running lamps turn off when i turn my headlights on in my '00 ws6????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daytime running lamps turn off when i turn my headlights on in my '00 ws6????

i have had this problem randomly pop up over the summer. my amber corner lights on my '00 ws6 turn off when i put my headlights on..... they're always on even when i put only my foglights on, but as soon as i flip on my actual headlights they turn off, why is this??????????
Old 11-17-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a new one to me! Do they flash on with your turn signals?? I modded my front running lights to stay off when the headlights and parking lights are off and they flash on. When the parking lights and headlights are on, they flash brighter. Maybe someone tried that mod and did it wrong?? The mod was soldering two connectors together in a little black box behind the radio.

Swat
Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

they flash when i put my blinkers on but its weird cause noone touched them they just started doin it on their own
Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

There may be a short or something in the board...I dunno. That's pretty odd. You could always try a visual check. Take your radio out and unplug it. Use a flashlight and look into the hole straight back and there will be a little black plastic box. Pulling up on it slides it off it's mount (it's on there good too!) then pull it out where you can see it. Open up the box and take a look at the printed circuit board inside. Look for components that looks blackened or burnt and look at the soldering connections where the wire are soldered on and check to see if any are touching or if there's debris shorting two of em. Other than that, you can get one from a junk yard and solder the 'new' one in and see if that helps. Otherwise I have no idea what COULD fix your problem. Sure would be nice if someone else could chime in with some knowledge...

Swat
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there called "daytime" running lights for a reason. no need for them when its dark. however they still function as blinkers. your bird is fine
Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

my passenger side does that but the drivers side works fine. ive heard the plug might have some corrosion in it.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slayerized6
there called "daytime" running lights for a reason. no need for them when its dark. however they still function as blinkers. your bird is fine
exactly, mine do that aswell, why have em on at night?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're called "daytime" running lights for a reason. no need for them when its dark. however they still function as blinkers. your bird is fine
That's not the question. True as it is, it doesn't solve his problem. Fact being that those lights should be on even WITH the headlights.

Originally Posted by matt01ws6
my passenger side does that but the drivers side works fine. ive heard the plug might have some corrosion in it.
That could be the problem too. There's different connections for the bright (both) filiment and the dim filiment. If I remember right, the lights should be bright during the day and dim at night? When your blinker is on, do the lights turn off or do they go dim??

Swat
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lights should still be on...just not as bright. They are also called marker lights. The DTRLs are as bright as the turn signals...there should be a dimmer light for the marker lights when the headlights are on.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
The lights should still be on...just not as bright. They are also called marker lights. The DTRLs are as bright as the turn signals...there should be a dimmer light for the marker lights when the headlights are on.
the dimmer is for the interior dashboard and hvac lights. sidemarkers should stay on 24/7 no matter what. but the DRL's should turn off when your headlights are running. however, the drl will flash because it is the turn signal. sidemarkers dont function with the flashers unless you modified it to do so
Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the dimmer is for the interior dashboard and hvac lights. sidemarkers should stay on 24/7 no matter what. but the DRL's should turn off when your headlights are running. however, the drl will flash because it is the turn signal. sidemarkers dont function with the flashers unless you modified it to do so

I know what the dimmer switch is for. The OP was calling the turn signal housing lights DRLs. When he turns on his headlights they go completely out....THEY SHOULD NOT do that. They should stay on, only dimmer than they are with the headlights off.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I know what the dimmer switch is for. The OP was calling the turn signal housing lights DRLs. When he turns on his headlights they go completely out....THEY SHOULD NOT do that. They should stay on, only dimmer than they are with the headlights off.
the turn signals and drl's use the same housing (on a trans am, not sure about firebirds/formulas. unless he is referring to the side marker lamps, but i doubt that. drive with no lights or just the foglights on, DRL's should be lit 24/7 and blink when needed. turn on headlamps, drls should stay of, but only blink when needed
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

the turn signals and drl's use the same housing (on a trans am, not sure about firebirds/formulas. unless he is referring to the side marker lamps, but i doubt that. drive with no lights or just the foglights on, DRL's should be lit 24/7 and blink when needed. turn on headlamps, drls should stay of, but only blink when needed
Yes, same housing for Firebirds/Formlas (smaller round light next to fog light). Those lights, DRLs Markers Whatever you call em, should be illuminated on their bright setting (both filiments glowing) while the headlight switch is in the off position and flash dim with the turn signals. The DRLs/Markers will change to a dim illumination (one filiment glowing) when the headlight switch is turned to the Parking or Driving settings and flash brighter with the turn signals...

...hence my last question to the OP "do your turn signals blink dim or off during the day/headlights off?" They should NOT blink off (only dim). If they blink off, there's likely a connection problem at the bulb socket or a problem with that wiring. Likely the bulb socket. Hell OR the one filiment in the bulb is burnt out! First clean your bulb socket. That should fix your problem.

Swat
Old 11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If your DRLs and turn signals work but you get no marker lights at all with the headlights on (and turn signals still work), it sounds like your bulbs are burnt out.

Quick Reply: Daytime running lamps turn off when i turn my headlights on in my '00 ws6????