Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ok let's talk Shock's

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok let's talk Shock's

Ok I am having a new notor put in the car and I want so great shock's.... The car is going to see a lot of track time and some weeken driving in the summer here and there. I was thinking about going with adjustable QA1 in the front that are 90/10 and QA1 50/50 in the rear. I was thinking of adding the 300 lb spring for the front and stock LS1 spring's in the rear.... The car is going to be a beast and we are looking at low 10's ot Mid 9's depending on how much I spray .. So what do you think's think on my choice and if you have other pick's please post them... I just want the best set up that will work great at the track and not be a pain in the *** to drive on the stree.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ordered a setup similar to this from BMR, went with Stange instead all the same adjustments as the QA1's except Dennis said they were a lot more reliable on the street due to the seal that Strange uses. Still rebuildable, can be revalved, same aluminum body, and warranty. Not to mention $20 cheaper per shock. Depending on the accessories still on the car then determines the front spring weight the car I am working on has AC, power steering all still on it so they recommended 325lb fronts. Said a lot of people are running them on daily drivers and weekend warriors with no problems once they get what settings work for their driving style. Looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worst here so may be spring before I get to dial this set in for him. Till then they will just have to look good setting in the garage
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
Just ordered a setup similar to this from BMR, went with Stange instead all the same adjustments as the QA1's except Dennis said they were a lot more reliable on the street due to the seal that Strange uses. Still rebuildable, can be revalved, same aluminum body, and warranty. Not to mention $20 cheaper per shock. Depending on the accessories still on the car then determines the front spring weight the car I am working on has AC, power steering all still on it so they recommended 325lb fronts. Said a lot of people are running them on daily drivers and weekend warriors with no problems once they get what settings work for their driving style. Looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worst here so may be spring before I get to dial this set in for him. Till then they will just have to look good setting in the garage
Thanks for the help and I will check into those as well...Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have any questions on the shocks give me a call. Both shock brands are very good with the strange having a better price. If you have removed alot of the front end weight and are going to drive the car on the street some i would recommend the 300lb springs. Im in the office till 5:30 est mon-fri.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
Ok I am having a new notor put in the car and I want so great shock's.... The car is going to see a lot of track time and some weeken driving in the summer here and there. I was thinking about going with adjustable QA1 in the front that are 90/10 and QA1 50/50 in the rear. I was thinking of adding the 300 lb spring for the front and stock LS1 spring's in the rear.... The car is going to be a beast and we are looking at low 10's ot Mid 9's depending on how much I spray .. So what do you think's think on my choice and if you have other pick's please post them... I just want the best set up that will work great at the track and not be a pain in the *** to drive on the stree.
I'm not a drag guy by any means, but I snoop around for what the fast drag cars are using for shocks. Seems like Madman is the Sam Strano of drag racing around here. I think that he recommends the AFCO shocks, but I would really do a search if I were you. BTW most of the drag suspension advice I think you'll get in the drag section.

As far as daily driveability, I doubt I'd be able to daily drive a drag setup. I wouldn't want to deal with the loose front end. Some people like it... its all preference. Though you might have issues if you have to avoid a deer on the highway. I've had a broken swaybar mount in the front and it gave me 0% control over when my rear broke free. Not sure if it would feel similar or not, but it didn't do anything for my confidence in the car's stability.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
If you have any questions on the shocks give me a call. Both shock brands are very good with the strange having a better price. If you have removed alot of the front end weight and are going to drive the car on the street some i would recommend the 300lb springs. Im in the office till 5:30 est mon-fri.
Thanks and I will give you a call... I am putting a UMI K-member and UMI Lower A-Arm's too. So that should help with the weight in the front.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm not a drag guy by any means, but I snoop around for what the fast drag cars are using for shocks. Seems like Madman is the Sam Strano of drag racing around here. I think that he recommends the AFCO shocks, but I would really do a search if I were you. BTW most of the drag suspension advice I think you'll get in the drag section.

As far as daily driveability, I doubt I'd be able to daily drive a drag setup. I wouldn't want to deal with the loose front end. Some people like it... its all preference. Though you might have issues if you have to avoid a deer on the highway. I've had a broken swaybar mount in the front and it gave me 0% control over when my rear broke free. Not sure if it would feel similar or not, but it didn't do anything for my confidence in the car's stability.
Yeah I get what you are saying... If the car was an all out drag car then I would go for the AFCO shock's for sure. But I don't want to drice the car on the street here and there... I don't want that loose front end because I just don't want the shock's bottoming out on me if I hit a pot whole I don't see
Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I get what you are saying... If the car was an all out drag car then I would go for the AFCO shock's for sure. But I don't want to drice the car on the street here and there... I don't want that loose front end because I just don't want the shock's bottoming out on me if I hit a pot whole I don't see
So you want to build a mid 9 second street car with daily drive-able manners? Is that even possible?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So you want to build a mid 9 second street car with daily drive-able manners? Is that even possible?
Well the 438 I am building will be fine driving on the street and a crazy track car too.. But meant to say it will be driven here and there on the weeken during the summer... So yes it is possible I would think LOL
Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck. while the AFCO's are probably the best, they are also the most costly. i have a complete shock and spring package for you that is a proven setup. coil-over is available for the rear in the stock shock location as well. pm me if interested for the best deal out there.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck. while the AFCO's are probably the best, they are also the most costly. .
^^Agreed
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

QA1 DAs are very streetable, but pricey when purchased new.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFCOs are streetable. All you have to do is make a quick shock adjustment, and you're ready to run on the street. I know of plenty of cars just in the immediate area that are using AFCOs on all four corners, and these cars see plenty of street time. If you order AFCOs from us, we'll give you a shock tune for the track and for street. We have the complete set up for front coil overs and rear shocks. You can still use your stock springs for the rear. If anyone is interested, or has any more questions, please call me at the shop. 225-673-3533
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Strange shocks are by far the best bang for the buck. while the AFCO's are probably the best, they are also the most costly. i have a complete shock and spring package for you that is a proven setup. coil-over is available for the rear in the stock shock location as well. pm me if interested for the best deal out there.
Thanks and I will try to give you a call today.... If not tomorrw for sure because I want order some ASAP.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mad_steve_08
AFCOs are streetable. All you have to do is make a quick shock adjustment, and you're ready to run on the street. I know of plenty of cars just in the immediate area that are using AFCOs on all four corners, and these cars see plenty of street time. If you order AFCOs from us, we'll give you a shock tune for the track and for street. We have the complete set up for front coil overs and rear shocks. You can still use your stock springs for the rear. If anyone is interested, or has any more questions, please call me at the shop. 225-673-3533
I will also give you a call too..Thanks
Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will also give you a call too..Thanks
Give me a call anytime, i'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

ssvert99 and mad_steve_08

Thanks for the help guy's and will be waitting to see the email's when I get home... Two great sponsor's here and very helpful...Thanks again
Old 11-21-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

ssvert99 and mad_steve_08

Thanks for the help guy's and will be waitting to see the email's when I get home... Two great sponsor's here and very helpful...Thanks again
I sent your e-mails yesterday. If you didn't get them, please call me or e-mail me at mad_steve_08@techie.com , just want to make sure I got the right e-mail addy for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mad_steve_08
I sent your e-mails yesterday. If you didn't get them, please call me or e-mail me at mad_steve_08@techie.com , just want to make sure I got the right e-mail addy for you.
I got your email Steve and will get in touch with you next week.Thanks again
Old 11-21-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ssvert99

I never got your email