Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

I've pretty much given up on mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I've pretty much given up on mustangs...

So I was hoping Ford would come through with a decently powered mustang in 2010, but a whopping 315 to compete with the new camaro? ****** pathetic.

I have a 99 gt, lightly modded, runs 9 flat in the 1/8th mile, but unless i boost it, decent gains will be hard to achieve. I could buy a procharger for 4000 bucks and have 390rwhp, but that seems a bit too pricey.

Or, i could sell it, and buy a trans am or a formula for about what I paid for the stang ($9000) and have a better platform to build upon, throw a lid and catback on, and smoke the 2010 mustang lol.

Orrr i could save up for a year or so and buy a nice Terminator... but for now im considering the T/A.

Ive done some research on the differences between the years, and while id prefer an 01 or 02 (cause of the better heads and ls6 manifold), id be happy with a good deal on a 2000. Only thing is, im not selling the stang until i find the trans am or formula I want (leanin toward the trans am, i like the front bumper on those). I've searched autotrader as well as cragslist for cars near me, but all im getting are overpriced 30th anniversary ones. I dont want to be spending 15 grand on a stock ls1 trans am with 50000 miles lol. Ive been told by many friends i can find one with 60000 for about 9 grand, assuming im looking in the right places.

Anything else I should consider? Any input or ideas on what I should include in my search? First choice would be a black trans am with t tops, and auto transmission, dont care if its leather or cloth. Secondary colors are red and maybe dark blue.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terminators are sick cars but kinda pricey. IF you go bird formulas are belived to be a hair faster stock fr stock due to wieght but once modding comes it its negligible at best. Anyways all trans am came with leather seats factory I belive also Dont be fooled by the ws6 badging its minimal performance gains but their are a few so wiegh your options if you consider a ws6 hoods paint and wheels can simulat the look cheaper in most cases. If you havnt already z28's are cheaper to get into than birds for some reason they just arnt fetching the same kinda green. What it al comes down o is what do you like what are your goals and whats your spending limit. good luck on finding the rite car for you man.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Goals arent too ridiculously expensive lol, id be happy with 350rwhp, and from what ive seen from my friend's 2000 z28 with full exhaust and lid (makin 350ish) and my other friend's 2000 ws6 with cam, fast 90/90 manifold, full exhaust (makin over 400rwhp), thats very doable.

I know that the rear end is the weak point of the fbody, so I wont go too crazy with power. My friend with the z28 drove his hard all summer, with no problems. He has the 6 speed too lol. If i get a trans am, when i upgrade the rear end, a 12 bolt should be enough, right? I want the car to stay streetable, so ill say about 350-360 rwhp for now is what ill be aiming for. But I should probably find myself a car first haha.

Im in the Buffalo, NY area, and I havent seen any good deals yet. A few months back i found a black formula, auto, with t tops, i was happy with it, but it had 71000 miles, they were askind 10000 for it, and it had been in an accident obviously. Steering wheel was cocked to the left a bit when driving straight, and one fog light was clear, while the other was orange. Bumper didnt line up right on the drivers side either. I told the dealer "sorry, but im gonna have to pass. Carfax confirmed the accident". He replied "well just cause it was in an accident, doesnt mean it got hit by a semi, may have been a deer." My response "Well it must have been a pretty nasty deer to **** up the steering and bumper like that haha". Kinda pissed, that car was nice.

I still owe about 5000 on the Mustang, so I figure if i can try to get 8000 for it, ill pay off the rest of the loan, then use the rest as a down payment.

Im having my friends keep their eyes open for trans ams of my preference, within the price range of 6000-9000, assuming the mileage is 70000 or under. Hopefully I can find a nice stock one for a good price.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of auto guys are having great luck with the 12 bolts but most 6 speeds are using a ford 9 inch set up. I know one think with me is a street car is a ton more fun as a manual but I have owned a few autos as well. If initial payment is a factor dont shy away from an lt1 the opti spark isnt as big of a problem as people make it out to be plus they are geting to be even cheaper. If you have to get an ls1 a 2001 or 2002 is going to be the best start because you wouldnt have to buy the ls6 intake manifold but the 98-00 have a slightly better camshaft so differences arnt huge. 98 has perimiter bolt valve covers and 99+ are center bolts but once againg no real issues with that. 98s had steel gas tanks that were 15.5 gals and 99+ have 16.5 plastic tanks. 98 is kinda of the bastard child for the ls1 fbodys sorta like the 93 and 95 where for the lt1 fbody's lil differences/ anoyances and comp changes. If you find a car in ur price range in the condition your searching for jump on it low mileage fbodys are getting harder to find but still decently plentiful. I will make one more recomendation Blue or red for color I had a 98 red trans am with a ws6 hood and white racings stripes and that mother ****** looked great.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I figured 2000-2002 would be the best years to look at, the newer and lower the mileage, the better. I checked out Ebay for the hell of it, found some decent ones, but theyre damn far. 11000 for a slightly modded 2000 trans am, but most of the mods are suspension ones. 83000 miles. Trying to keep the mileage between 60000 and 70000 at most, once again, depends on what price comes with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't done it already, the regional forums are at the bottom, get in there and ask whats for sale around you.

Welcome to ls1tech, congrats on this decision.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you can do what I'm doing....just drop in a LSx in your Stang.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Just made a thread in regional lookin for a black, red, or dark blue, 2000-2002 auto ls1 trans am with ttops. Hopefully thats not too picky and ill be able to find a few good cars to pick from.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gen414
Or you can do what I'm doing....just drop in a LSx in your Stang.

I was actually considering that route lol but i've heard nothing as far as what parts are needed for the swap, and how youll rig the computers. Plus, id need to buy a transmission to go with it. Seems like it would be way too expensive, that i'd be better off just buying a trans am for that price.

Other options included buying a 4v and droppin it in, but that too might not match to my transmission.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad i was able to help your move to the dark side! Man up and get the M6... and the 12 bolt vs 9 inch debate is all blah blah blah... My friends TurboLs1ss and Firehawk853 have been running 700-800 rwhp through 12 bolts for years now with 6 speeds.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Well from what i hear, the dark side also has cookies soo...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Just broadened my search a bit, including formulas.