LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1s and Fans? WTF !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1s and Fans? WTF !!!

This is the second LT1 Camaro I got with the same exact problem. Fans do NOT come on. The first one was a 94Z and no one could find what was wrong with it, I went through many relays and different computer but couldn't find the problem and had to install a manual switch to turn them on. A friend of mine went through the SAME EXACT thing and couldn't find anything, in his case believe it or not even the dealership gave up on it.

Now I bought a different project and guess what, fans do not come on. I couldn't solve it few years ago and I'm begging you guys to help me out.

What would be the list of things to check/replace to FIX this. What's on top of your list and what's the last thing you think causing the issue.

Thanks a lot.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try replacing the coolant temperature sensor. There are 2 of them, one in the water pump and one in the block on the drivers side. I would try the one in the water pump first.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'll do that but coolant temp. sensor on the block? what is that? I know that the gauge temp. sensor is on the head, the coolant temp. sensor is on the water pump, but what's that one on the block? On driver side? Is it in anyway related to turning the fans on. Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Mine come on a little before the red in temp.

They just take forever to turn on.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Mine come on a little before the red in temp.

They just take forever to turn on.
Oh well, I myself have a 96 SS (Not the car with the problem) and I tuned the computer to have the fans come on at a much lower temp than stupid GM computers do. I don't know why you didn't do anything yet because ur hurting ur engine there man. Who wants to have his engine run hot!! spend 70 bucks and get yourself the slp fan switch.

Anyway, I just want to solve this problem because it seems to me that the issue isn't just replacing a sensor/relay (I don't think I'm that lucky BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THERE BEFORE WITH A DIFFERENT ONE) but there's something deeper than that. Someone out there must know the problem for this thing. I'm just trying to come up with a list of things and go through 1 by 1 to find out what it is because a lot of people had the same issue.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the sensor on the radiator?? Just below the fill cap on the backside? Im not sure if that would cause an issue but they get pretty gunked up with corrosion and may be the cause?? Just a thought!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AChotrod
How about the sensor on the radiator?? Just below the fill cap on the backside? Im not sure if that would cause an issue but they get pretty gunked up with corrosion and may be the cause?? Just a thought!

Nah, that one goes bad very often I agree and the only thing it does is throw that stupid red "Low Coolant" light right in the middle of your cluster.
Well, the temp. sensor on the water pump sends info to the computer to send info to the relay to turn the fans on, something in this route is not right but I couldn't figure what it is when working on my older LT1 car EVEN BY REPLACING ALL THESE PARTS fans still won't come on. Someone must have gone through this and solved it out there.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

couple of fixes. they come on at like 220. Tuning it to come on lower is one way. I have heard about the slp switch kit but never used it.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

its simple the pcm send power to a relay that power up the fans...something isnt making contact or telling it to turn on...

check fans work...then check wires back to fuse box check relay then make sure pcm tells the fans to come on...simple
Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daniel6718
its simple the pcm send power to a relay that power up the fans...something isnt making contact or telling it to turn on...

check fans work...then check wires back to fuse box check relay then make sure pcm tells the fans to come on...simple
Bingo. BUT, let's say I did all this and found :

1- Computer is ok.
2- Fans do work PHYSICALLY.
3- Replaced relay anyway because THERE'S NO WAY TO TEST IT.
4- Wires back to fuse are perfect.

Does it make any sense that with all these being ok and fans still don't come on? If so, there must be something else that I'm trying to find.

Not trying to be a smart *** or hard, but I did ALL OF THE ABOVE with my 94 and could not find a thing wrong, I ended up as mentioned before running a manual switch.

Thanks for your response man.

Last edited by MySuperSportCamaro; 11-18-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the temp sensor or circuit goes bad it will pop a code. (15 if I remember correctly)

Save your self some money, wire your own switch up for $10-15, instead of $70.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MySuperSportCamaro
Oh well, I myself have a 96 SS (Not the car with the problem) and I tuned the computer to have the fans come on at a much lower temp than stupid GM computers do. I don't know why you didn't do anything yet because ur hurting ur engine there man. Who wants to have his engine run hot!! spend 70 bucks and get yourself the slp fan switch.
I didn't overheat. I have no need to fix this yet as it isn't a problem. The only reason I had this happen is because I idled in place with the AC on max for 20 minutes to see when/if they were going to come on.

My car doesn't get much past the first tic in normal day to day driving.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bingo. BUT, let's say I did all this and found :

1- Computer is ok.
2- Fans do work PHYSICALLY.
3- Replaced relay anyway because THERE NO WAY TO TEST IT.
4- Wires back to fuse are perfect.

Does it make any sense that with all these being ok and fans still don't come on? If so, there must be something else that I'm trying to find.

Not trying to be a smart *** or hard, but I did ALL OF THE ABOVE with my 94 and could not find a thing wrong, I ended up as mentioned before running a manual switch.

Thanks for your response man.
How about you tell us what the temp is getting up to that is making you cry that your fans aren't working? Then we'll tell you if they're not working, instead of you telling us they aren't
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formula350
How about you tell us what the temp is getting up to that is making you cry that your fans aren't working? Then we'll tell you if they're not working, instead of you telling us they aren't

Good question. Answer : THEY DO NOT COME ON AT ALL. (Read the last 3 words in first line and first 2 words in second line of my post on top). What does that mean? Red line and not on yet. More? Antifreeze start boiling in rad. and STILL not coming on .
Let's keep the subject on the fans guys , It's project engine so I don't mind having it get to the red line, but WTF is up with the fans?

Last edited by MySuperSportCamaro; 11-18-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I didn't overheat. I have no need to fix this yet as it isn't a problem. The only reason I had this happen is because I idled in place with the AC on max for 20 minutes to see when/if they were going to come on.

My car doesn't get much past the first tic in normal day to day driving.
You're in good shape then, I'd STILL install a manual switch to run them way earlier than factory, not only it helps performance but your engine will live longer. It's a fact.
But hey if ur happy with it and don't want to miss with wires and stuff, then ur good.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

You're in good shape then, I'd STILL install a manual switch to run them way earlier than factory, not only it helps performance but your engine will live longer. It's a fact.
But hey if ur happy with it and don't want to miss with wires and stuff, then ur good.
No, next PCM update for my headers (shortly) I'll get the lowest fan turn on he'll do.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try wiggling the relay box under the hood. My a/c compressor doesnt come on sometimes and i have to wiggle the relay box to make it come on. Something isnt making a connection and i am too lazy to fix it b/c it is summer.

Thats something simple. Also just trace all of the wires and make sure something isnt grounded or burned out. Im betting that is the problem. If the fans work, the relays work, and the pcm is good, then it has to be something in between.

Or like said above the pcm may not know the temperature of the engine so you may need to change a sensor.

I like to start with free stuff first though.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Try wiggling the relay box under the hood. My a/c compressor doesnt come on sometimes and i have to wiggle the relay box to make it come on. Something isnt making a connection and i am too lazy to fix it b/c it is summer.

Thats something simple. Also just trace all of the wires and make sure something isnt grounded or burned out. Im betting that is the problem. If the fans work, the relays work, and the pcm is good, then it has to be something in between.

Or like said above the pcm may not know the temperature of the engine so you may need to change a sensor.

I like to start with free stuff first though.

Good points, thanks a lot man, I'll do that Thursday and let yaknow if I find something. It's just very frustrating to have the same issue twice with two different LT1s.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question. Answer : THEY DO NOT COME ON AT ALL. (Read the last 3 words in first line and first 2 words in second line of my post on top). What does that mean? Red line and not on yet. More? Antifreeze start boiling in rad. and STILL not coming on .
Let's keep the subject on the fans guys , It's project engine so I don't mind having it get to the red line, but WTF is up with the fans?
Our screen resolutions are different and thus the posts layout is differen't. So your directions pointed me to gibberish.

How about you just tell us what the temperature is at. Are they both on after 235F? If not, THEN yes there is a problem. If you're not waiting till 225f and 235f, then you're jumping the gun. And yes I realize this is your second LT1, but look how many people buy imports over and over, or Mustangs over and over, and are STILL RETARDS
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 AM
sbs
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
How about you just tell us what the temperature is at. Are they both on after 235F? If not, THEN yes there is a problem. If you're not waiting till 225f and 235f, then you're jumping the gun. And yes I realize this is your second LT1, but look how many people buy imports over and over, or Mustangs over and over, and are STILL RETARDS

Might want to work on the RIF skills before you call _other_ people retards...

Quick Reply: LT1s and Fans? WTF !!!