Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Recommended Brake Setup For My Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommended Brake Setup For My Car?

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28. This car will never be autocrossed. It will be strictly a street/strip car. It will see only nice, clear streets on warm days. However, when it is nice I will probably drive this car 50 - 75 miles a day. The brake set-up will need to be daily driver friendly as it will be used as that when summer rolls around.

The car will be lighter than most with the following components removed or modified:

- No HVAC or Wiring
- No Stereo or Wiring
- No Rear Seats
- Battery in Rear
- Lightweight Hood
- UMI K-Member & A-Arms
- Narrowed SS 10 Spoke Wheels (17 x 6)
- Maybe an ABS System Delete

It will need to have good stopping power as I will be running a 408 with a D1SC kit on it. I would assume due to the mileage put on during nicer weather something like a Strange or Aero kit would be out of the question. Would I be better off going with something along the lines of a Wilwood or Baer big brake kit if it would clear the 6" wide front wheels? Perhaps my best bet is just to upgrade my brakes all the way around.

I currently have stock rear brakes and slotted front rotors and Hawk HPS+ pads. They are both worn down and will need to be replaced. What would you guys recommend for the setup of my Camaro?

Last edited by Funkster; 11-24-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout non slotted/drilled brembo blanks and hawk pads? Honestly i don't know what would fit under a 17x6 inch wheel.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Seems like the stock brakes with HPS or HP+ pads would be more than enough for a street car, even with a lot of power. Proper pads, fluid, and steel braided lines should work well IMO.

I would also argue that a car with narrow front wheels doesn't really need more stopping power, since the stock brakes can lock/engage ABS the stock wheels pretty easily.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be going with Brembo blanks and Hawk HPS pads. A friend of mine has the exact setup on his car and its very nice. If you were also to get steel braided lines and high temp fluid, I bet you would be VERY impressed.
Drilled and slotted rotrs are for looks only.
I have slotted rotros now. I am a believer that slotted rotors are good for roadracing but maybe not so much for autocross and daily driving. There is less surface area so with single stops, they will not perform as well as a blank. but when roadracing, slots should help with brake fade.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

where to order the steel braided brake lines?
Old 11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I have you covered. Rotors, pads and lines (fluid too).

I have Hawk, Brembo, Techna-fit DOT stainless lines (for both ASR/TCS cars as well as non-traction control cars).

There are even some package kits that have rotor and pads, or rotors, pads, lines and fluid....

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=17&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!