Pay Pal??

Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pay Pal??

pardon the ignorance but I have not used pay pal or even been on there site in ages.

If I do not have account and use pay pal to pay someone do I just use my credit card?

If so, I guess if the person I am paying defaults on their end of the deal I can call the bank and cancel the charges.

Sorry I found a deal that looks good but am sketchy about it although the seller has very little negative feed back and I want to cover my a**

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

you can setup your paypal to be attached to your bank account or credit card.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

You have to have an account in order to make a payment. Get a premeir account if you want to be able to RECEIVE payments as well. You set up your account, add a debit/credit card, then send a payment to the person via their E-mail address. I've done it a few times, and it's usually safe. Obviously Ebay is the safest, but doing it this way isn't uncommon.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have an account but it is ancient and i have no clue what email account i used, i have closed that bank account, and i dont remember where i was living at the time i was using it.

i was under the impression you could send money now with out an account but if not i guess i will create a new one.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM

I would set your paypal account up with American Express. They do not pay the merchant until 30 days after the transaction is made so calling them up and reversing is a snap within that period...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Jeff and you reminded me i keep meaning to get an amex so i can have rewards
Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

ALWAYS use a credit card to pay through paypal!!! Paypal's buyer protection policy is garbage. When you file a claim they spend 30 days investigating only to tell you they found in your favor but they cannot refund you because the seller no longer has the money in his account.

Like mentioned above, use an American Express if you have one. The first time I got scammed was on Ebay for a $150 bumper that I paid for with my American Express. After I filed a claim with paypal and got no money back I called up Amex and they had the money back in my account the next day!

The second time I was scammed was again on Ebay for $3200 for an LS1/T56 and used my Visa. This time I didn't even bother with paypal and went straight to Visa. It took a little over two weeks to get my money back because Visa requires you to send your dispute in writing but it all worked out.

With that being said... If the deal sounds sketchy and involves alot of money just pass it up... it's not worth it. Credit card companies have the right to turn down a dispute if the item purchased was outside your home state or further than 100 miles from your address. It's unlikely that they will turn it down because they want to keep you as a customer but why risk it. That's the lesson I learned when I got scammed for the $3200 mentioned earlier.

Last edited by olblue51; 11-19-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

we will see, the guy has multiple auctions and he said it would ship today. Total value is $120 not a big deal but I dont like supporting low lifes either.

Search this Thread