Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replace Pinion Bearing when Replacing Axle Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace Pinion Bearing when Replacing Axle Bearings?

I have a dilemma and I would like a few opinions on it:

I have a bit of a roaring noise from my rear axle. Next weekend, I am going to be pulling my axles and replacing the axle bearings and seals. That should be a piece of cake.

My dilemma is whether or not I should replace the pinion bearing and seals while I am at it. I saw a little bit of accumulated grime around my pinion seal where a bit of oil had seeped out. I figure it will need to be done eventually, but i am debating if I should do it or not. I would like to do it if at all possible.

I am a recently-graduated mechanical engineer so I am pretty confident in my abilities, but I have never disassembled a rear end before.

How hard is it, really, to get right assuming I have the right tools? What will I need besides parts, general shop tools and equipment, and a lbf-in torque wrench? Any encouragement or otherwise?

Thanks folks.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't go as far as changing pinion bearings. Maybe just the pinion seal, as longs as they are not making any noise.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Any ideas about how to tell the difference between the axle and the pinion bearings? Would I likely be able to tell enough difference by rotating the driveshaft by hand?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

If the pulsating howling sound is equal to/in time with tire rotation,one howl equals one tire rotation,it's carrier bearing or axle bearing.If it's approx. 3 howls per tire rotation,it's pinion bearing.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-rear-end.html