Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Plan on buying a 9'' soon a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plan on buying a 9'' soon a few questions?

Im probably going to be in the market for a 9'' rear end in a few months and I usually try and do most of the research early. Im most likely going to order a moser 9'' housing and axle package from a sponser (whoever I can get the best deal from) and get an ebay center section as for now its the most cost effective way and im sure as long as it setup decent it should be fine as ive gone numerous 10 second passes with my stock 10 bolt until the posi unit gave out. Im probably going to use the stock driveshaft which im guessing is 1330 series so im going to need a 1330 series yoke put on the center section is there any certain style yoke I need or will any 9'' 1330 series yoke work and will the stock length driveshaft will work or will it need to be shortened or lengthened? Also will my umi tunnel mounted tq arm work without any complications? And the 9'' housing and axle package is a direct bolt on just get the center section bolt that in and go?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
Im probably going to be in the market for a 9'' rear end in a few months and I usually try and do most of the research early. Im most likely going to order a moser 9'' housing and axle package from a sponser (whoever I can get the best deal from) and get an ebay center section as for now its the most cost effective way and im sure as long as it setup decent it should be fine as ive gone numerous 10 second passes with my stock 10 bolt until the posi unit gave out. Im probably going to use the stock driveshaft which im guessing is 1330 series so im going to need a 1330 series yoke put on the center section is there any certain style yoke I need or will any 9'' 1330 series yoke work and will the stock length driveshaft will work or will it need to be shortened or lengthened? Also will my umi tunnel mounted tq arm work without any complications? And the 9'' housing and axle package is a direct bolt on just get the center section bolt that in and go?
Well first it may seem cost effective to buy an Ebay center but then you will have to set up the gears so they dont whine. Even if shipped direct from Moser they are not set up.

If you are going 10s then you are making good power and should not use a stock driveshaft more for safety reasons than anything else. Most sponsors will give you a good deal on a new driveshaft when you buy a housing and axle package.Stock length will work but ive heard if you get it about a 1/2-1" longer it reduces noise.

The UMI torque arm should work fine with the correct housing, something like the Midwest or M9 will need its own special torque arm.

You should be able to get a bolt in package from just about any sponsor.If I were you though, I would buy the center from them also(as long as they set it up) and a stronger driveshaft.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

How exactly would I go about setting up the assembled center section like do I have to add shims or something ive thrown gears in cars before (ford 8.8) and they always worked fine even straight out the junkyard no whining noises. The car makes like 513rw on the spray and it doesnt really shock the drivetrain like a 6 speed car would so I was thinking the driveshaft would be ok for alittle while longer? I will probably get the moser/ford 9'' housing from a sponser.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
How exactly would I go about setting up the assembled center section like do I have to add shims or something ive thrown gears in cars before (ford 8.8) and they always worked fine even straight out the junkyard no whining noises. The car makes like 513rw on the spray and it doesnt really shock the drivetrain like a 6 speed car would so I was thinking the driveshaft would be ok for alittle while longer? I will probably get the moser/ford 9'' housing from a sponser.
If you feel confident setting the rear up then its up to you. When I bought my 9" it was setup by Midwest Chassis, and had I bought a Moser I would have had a local shop set it up.

Are you running a driveshaft loop at the very least? I know its required with the times you are running but not everyone does. Havin seen the damage it can do to a car and a driver when the driveshaft goes I wouldnt chance it.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I do have a safety loop it came with the umi tunnel mounted torque arm but yea I plan on upgrading the driveshaft eventaully just gonna try and use the stocker for a few more passes. I may or may not take the rear to a rearend shop and have it checked over to make sure everything is right before I throw it in. Either way ill probably take it down to the local rear end shop to have the bearings pressed on.