LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Figuring out what cam is in this car...

Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Figuring out what cam is in this car...

Ok, so I'm negotiating a deal with a guy in my home town to buy his 94 TA that has a few bolt ons and what he claims is a gm 846 cam (the same cam I have) and I am skeptical. The car has basically the same mods as my car minus a little head work, and a decent cat back. My question is I am having a hard time believing he has an 846 because the idle sounds a bit different and the car doesn't perform anywhere near how my car does, though his is a stalled auto, is there a way to measure lift or duration with having a cam spec sheet, and without ripping of the timing cover? There is no question, his car is cammed i just want to confirm it is as "cammed" as he claims it is....

Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

you will need a degree wheel and a micrometer to see how much lift/duration are present.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

1redta could you give me a run down of how the micro meter is used?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

you put the micrometer in the intake lifter (with an extension) to measure the movement of the cam. refer to your degree wheel when the micrometer starts increasing. That will be intake the start of intakes duration it will also tell you how much lift there is and record when the micrometer is on the base circle for Intake closing ending point of duration. Repeat for exhaust. SHould be able to do a search for better clarification.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Figuring out what cam is in this car...