Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a few questions

I have a stock 5.3 that we got as a core engine, tore it apart, the woman never changed the oil and the lifters plugged up and started ticking, she bought a reman engine. Anyways I'm building a drag car, a Front engine Dragster to be specific. It's going to be extremely light, were taking 1600 lbs with me in worst case probably. I've also got a line on 103mm(I think have to look again) Precision turbo. Now my goal is 850-900 hp. I'd be using a blow through carb setup. A custom grind cam isn't a big deal, and neither is coming up with some L92 heads, but how feasible is my goal? What stock parts can I use and make it reliable, also I'm going to run it on alcohol so no intercooler. I saw where the stock LQ4 took 18 lbs of boost but the heads were lifting. What can I do to prevent that? I didn't read closely enough but I don't know if he was using ARP head studs or not. Those horsepower numbers should put me right around 7.00s in the quarter which is where I want to be.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using aftermarket heads with a thicker deck surface will help to prevent head lifting. AFR heads and head studs are what we use and 18 to 20 psi can then be used. Bob
Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

I know that L92 heads will not work on a 5.3L block as the bore is not big enough. The L92 heads need a bore at least 4.0". Using ARP head studs will help a lot with helping keep the heads down. Also O-ringing the heads and/or the block will help out too.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I would think that the 103MM turbo would be a little too large and tough to spool on the 5.3? You certainly can make 850-900 rwhp on the engine, just need a good set of heads like Bob suggested that can take the boost with their thicker deck. ARP Head studs would be a good idea to keep them from lifting. Other than that I think your goals should be reached, just make sure to spend the money on the best forged internals you can, have plenty of fuel (seems like you have that in check!), and have a great tune! Good luck and sounds like a sick build, post up pics when you have them.

Quick Reply: Have a few questions