LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

One weird shift... makes me wonder.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One weird shift... makes me wonder.

'06 Impala SS with 42K miles:

I was pulling out of a Home Depot lot the other day and planned to accelerate at a normal speed but had to change my mind at the last second and get on it... so I give it more gas and I heard the engine rpms going up but wasn't going any faster. Suddenly the gear finally hits (probably second) and it chirped the tires. I don't know if I just hit the gas at the wrong time, screwing up the shift points, or if I just had the first sign of a tranny problem. Anyone else get this?

Last edited by Mark IXZD 150; 11-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it has happened to me a few times, doesn't make sense...almost like the car doesn't want to shift into the next gear.

I just let off and try again in a few seconds....hasn't happened yet when I actually need to get on it like you had to.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had something like that when i had my car new i would push into the gas and let off and back into it again and it would do that at like a low speed 10-20 mph. Its probably because it was in the process or something to that point. I've adjusted how i accelerate by not changing its posistion as much as i used to. So when i'm accelerating i keep into the pedal if you let off you might mistake a soft shift as a weakening transmission but all shifts are based on throttle posistion. I would not worry about it. If it happens again and you know not to question how you where accelerating then worry.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I'm thinking I just confused the transmission while it was busy doing something... so it freaked out on me.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did that once while I was going 50, decelerating toward a red light. Light turned green, hit the gas hard and something spun.

Made me nervous - still nervous but ZZP is 10 miles from me so I'll have my tranny rebuilt by them.

Still expecting 150K out of the tranny.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am going to purchase my shift kit and tranny fluid from them. I'm at 29,3K something right now. I called them today to verify trans kit and fluid, but was placed on hold for too long and hung up (not because I was mad, just no time). So I'm just going to order it online!