Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Bushing in 98 T/A headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing in 98 T/A headlight?

Got a question hopefully someone here will know. When I got my car it was wrecked on the driver's front. Fixed it, and got it back on the road. Driving on the freeway I noticed that the passenger's headlight vibrates pretty good, enough to probably annoy the hell out of the other driver's, and myself. Oddly enough, it's on the opposite side of the damage, so it's entirely unrelated. I feel around, and from what I gather, it's where the actuating arm attaches to the headlight assembly itself. Everything else is fine, but I can feel where the steel arm enters the composite, the hole is much too large... and feels like it's missing a bushing since they wouldn't have a steel arm ride directly on composite plastic. I know it has been apart before, because there is a hairpin clip and washer holding the arm on... definitely not original.

Anyone have any idea on this? I would look and rob the part from the damaged headlight, but I noticed the problem only days after I threw it away!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT... having the same issue.. my headlight door got jammed under the hood because it was loose..
Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, on my car I had a similar issue. On the rear side nearest the hood, there are two hinge bolts. The looked fine, but tightening them actually worked. On my first F-Body, one actually fell out when it got a little worse. Then I had a hell of a time finding a replacement, since GM wont sell them seperately. I would start with those two bolts and go from there.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

I actually took my headlight further apart, and found the bushing that was gone completely, so there's a lot of play. I've measured it out, and I did a drawing in CAD, I just need to get it to a machine shop. Just haven't had time.

Quick Reply: Bushing in 98 T/A headlight?