LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Lights shut off? Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights shut off? Any ideas?

Last night driving home from work, my headlights randomly shut off. The fog light & park/turn signal lights stayed on.

When I would flip the switch to turn the lights off, the "HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED" message came up in the DLC as it should. Flipping the switch again didn't help, it just made the DLC message go away, but didn't turn on my lights...flipping the switch to turn the lights on manually didn't help.

About 10 minutes later they popped back on. They were fine ever since.

Any ideas? It's under warranty but I want to be sure of what caused it because I'd imagine the dealer won't be able to "duplicate" the problem.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

No clue, maybe loose wiring or something or a bad ground. Fuse perhaps?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my 93 Cutless turned out to be a resister if I recall correctly.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you happen to notice if the area around the headlight switch, was it excessively hot?
If you didn`t notice see if your lights work when cold and if yes leave them on for a while and see if it gets hot around the control switch on the panel. If yes get the switch replaced it is faulty. Note it will/should get a little warm but not hot.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

The headlight switch is a rotary switch built into the turn signal ****. I was in traffic when it happened so i was constantly playing with the switch, it wasn't hot or warm.

Only thing, probably coincidental, is that the lights popped back on when i was making a 90 degree right hand turn.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you got some wires pinched in your steering column somewhere. Or a loose connection or bad ground in the column. If your car does this again try turning your wheel lock to lock and see if that does anything. Or adjust the column up and down and see if that does anything. Thus you can tell if its a wiring prob in the column or not.

Search this Thread