Pontiac, Saturn and Saab gone .

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pontiac, Saturn and Saab gone .

I guess they will do what ever it takes to get the bailout money.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

I was reading that earlier on cnn also..
That is interesting... That would be very interesting to see pontiac gone..
Saab... not too fond of... Saturn.. its OK.... pontiac... dont want to see it gone...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

i agree
Old 11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

smart move too many copycat brands
Old 11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the other two i dont care about, but pontiac!?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more to follow.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try not to shed a tear for them
Old 11-27-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they can't get ride of Pontiac! forget the other 2!
Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Teching In

that sucks about Pontiac...ive never owned one....but i my buddy has one and i love the **** outta it. As far a Saab and Saturn i could really care less

Did they sell Pontiac Sasb and Saturn or just shut them down?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Teching In

hope they don't get rid of pontiac..i have a t/a and my step dad has a ventura
Old 11-27-2008, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

yeah my wife and I have owned alot of pontiac's... I like em...

But from what I have read today, they dont have plans to sell them, only to shut them down... Odd if you ask me.. But they might be thinking long term also..

Thinking that maybe if they shut them down, and they make a great come back they might bring one back, as to where if they sell them, they will not be able to bring it back on the GM side....
Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pontiac blows. The only ones most of us here care about are the LSx powered ones.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gay Pontiac will now be....Gay Chevrolet??

*shivers*
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I would love to see GM reduce down to Chevrolet and Cadillac. Look at the manufacturers that are actually doing OK right now:

Nissan -> Infiniti
Toyota -> Lexus
Honda -> Acura

So, logically, it would be:

Chevrolet -> Cadillac

While it would be sad to see the Pontiac brand name die, it would be somewhat foolish to keep the higher manufacturing costs of re-badging the same vehicles offered in other lines (Sky/Solstice, Equinox/Torrent, Sierra/Silverado, etc.). Personally, if they're looking to shed Pontiac, it should be the entire GMC/Buick/Pontiac division.

Take the Honda Accord, for example. If you want a midsize Honda, your choices are the Accord...and...the...Accord. That's it. If you want a midsize GM vehicle, your choices are the G6, Malibu, Aura, and Impala. While that sort of choice SEEMS nice, when you consider each one of those vehicles has its own R&D budget, its own manufacturing costs, its own marketing department, and all the depending people and processes for each one of those, it's needlessly complicated.

I own a 4-cylinder Accord as my daily driver. I went to the Honda dealership and test drove a Civic and an Accord. Then I went to a Toyota dealership and test drove a Camry. I then went to a Saturn dealership and test drove an Aura, and finally to a Chevrolet dealership and test drove a Malibu. For the money and for what I was after (an economical, low-maintenance daily driver), the Accord won out. It's not that the other cars were bad, they were just overpriced or felt flimsy when compared to the Accord.

GM needs to simplify their lineup so they can lower manufacturing costs and regain their competitive edge. Stop making Sierras and Silverados. Re-tool all the truck plants to make one or the other. Do this for each of the clones in their lineup, and it's a good start.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I would love to see GM reduce down to Chevrolet and Cadillac. Look at the manufacturers that are actually doing OK right now:

Nissan -> Infiniti
Toyota -> Lexus
Honda -> Acura

Chevrolet -> Cadillac

While it would be sad to see the Pontiac brand name die, it would be somewhat foolish to keep the higher manufacturing costs of re-badging the same vehicles offered in other lines (Sky/Solstice, Equinox/Torrent, Sierra/Silverado, etc.). Personally, if they're looking to shed Pontiac, it should be the entire GMC/Buick/Pontiac division.

Take the Honda Accord, for example. If you want a midsize Honda, your choices are the Accord...and...the...Accord. That's it. If you want a midsize GM vehicle, your choices are the G6, Malibu, Aura, and Impala. While that sort of choice SEEMS nice, when you consider each one of those vehicles has its own R&D budget, its own manufacturing costs, its own marketing department, and all the depending people and processes for each one of those, it's needlessly complicated.

I own a 4-cylinder Accord as my daily driver. I went to the Honda dealership and test drove a Civic and an Accord. Then I went to a Toyota dealership and test drove a Camry. I then went to a Saturn dealership and test drove an Aura, and finally to a Chevrolet dealership and test drove a Malibu. For the money and for what I was after (an economical, low-maintenance daily driver), the Accord won out. It's not that the other cars were bad, they were just overpriced or felt flimsy when compared to the Accord.

GM needs to simplify their lineup so they can lower manufacturing costs and regain their competitive edge. Stop making Sierras and Silverados. Re-tool all the truck plants to make one or the other. Do this for each of the clones in their lineup, and it's a good start.

-Mike
******* ditto. They need to spend more money on perfecting one model instead of multiple models in the same class.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Why the hell is Pontiac toast before Buick. Backwards logic if you ask me.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

Nissan -> Infiniti
Toyota -> Lexus
Honda -> Acura

Chevrolet -> Cadillac

-Mike
Originally Posted by 5w20
another problem is stop making the same cars with different brands...no need for so many of the same vehicles.

toyota/lexus
honda/acura
nissan/infiniti
vw/audi

^they should do something like that above

yukon/tahoe/escalade <---is there really a need for 3 of those when they are essentially the same vehicle??
same thoughts i had in the other thread
Old 11-28-2008, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Pontiac shouldn't go . There is nothing wrong with having a variety of the same sized car when done right . Just remember how different the old pontiacs were with 389s and 455s . Classic and an unbeatable possible better option to its chevy counterpart in its day . Pontiac will be missed if it does go for good .... They had a lot of good stuff on the way too ....
Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

have *