Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replacement shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement shocks

I have a 00 b4c A4 with 145k. Needless to say its time for shocks. My traction is getting really bad on my downshift to 1st. I read the shocks are the first place to start on the traction subject. I am in college and dont have a whole lot of money to by shocks with. I wouldnt mind just having the standard GM shocks. Anything would be better then what i have now. I need some recommendations on replacement shocks on a college budget. Not overly concerned on performance cornering of the shocks. The car is fairly stock with LT's, true duals, CIA, tune. I just want a smoother ride and better straight line traction.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would look at the kyb gr-2's they seem to be good for a replacement and are alittle better then stock oem replacements. they run about 200 for the 4 corners.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

That price sounds about just right. I looked on Summit and couldnt find a happy medium price range. Where do i find kyb gr-2's?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

None of my warehouses stock GR-2 for this car. In fact I can't even find pricing on the fronts anymore. I think they might well have been discontinued.

No matter, there are better options that don't break the bank. And I can help you along with any of them.

Let me put it this way:

I have some very low mile take off stock shocks if you want. If you'd like a set of the take-offs I have, $125 for the set.

I have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, but honestly the suck

I have Monroe shocks (both Sensatrac and MonroMatics), they also aren't very good.

I have Tokico's, which are the first of the aftermarket brands I think are worth it on a value basis.

I have Bilstein's.

All the above shocks.... The Bilstein's are the most expensive @ $425 a set, which honestly isn't hugely expensive for premium quality (not junk) replacements.

If you'd like to disucss options, feel free to call me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you not recommending kyb agx shocks any more if you are on a budget? we put these on a few of our cars and noticed a significant difference in straight line traction. however, i am sure anything is better than stock shocks with 80K miles on them.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I was mainly just talking about non-adjustable shocks that would best suit his needs and price range. That's why I didn't mention AGX's and others.

I do have AGX's, they run about Bilstein in price. But they aren't built as well and cost a bit more than Tokico's. I think he's looking for a good decent shock that works for his use. While it's cost based, he's not wanting it all like some are trying to find for an inexpensive price. AGX's are one of those compromise shocks that tries to be all things to all folks and really excels greatly at nothing. A decent shock alternative in some situations, but this one is more basic.

Wheelhop and planting of the unsprung weight is a function shocks serve to help with. I have no doubt they are improved vs. stock (like you said, almost anything is). And I do recommend them from time to time situation depending. But then the stock shocks are so bad lots of shocks might well have have helped your traction. I'm sure there were other reasons for the AGX's, maybe you wanted some control over how the car felt, or have (or want) lowering springs that these other shocks aren't ideal for.... Again, not hating on them, just not seemingly appropriate in this case from what I can see.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Sam just sell this guy some konis and be done with him.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I love Koni's... but I don't think the OP needs or is interested in them. So much for everyone thinking that's all I recommend.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I love Koni's... but I don't think the OP needs or is interested in them. So much for everyone thinking that's all I recommend.
lol.

Quick Reply: replacement shocks