Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stupid question needs an answer

Old 11-27-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stupid question needs an answer

Ok, I gotta understand this.

ALL else equal, what happens to a turbos A/R if you machine the exhaust flanges on both the turbo and turbo manifold and make them a little bigger

Would that reduce the a/r ratio?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

No, that would increase the port volume which essentially increases the AR size.

A smaller AR will increase exhaust velocity which in turn will increase spool up times but it can build unwanted back pressure if not sized properly.

If you need a specific AR size I would recommend contacting Jose@forcedinductions.
Im sure he can help you get anything you need turbo related.

Goodluck,
Derek
Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you modified the entire internal area of the turbine housing enough to make a marked difference you would likely not have any exhaust housing left as it has as much to do with geometry as size.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
No, that would increase the port volume which essentially increases the AR size.

A smaller AR will increase exhaust velocity which in turn will increase spool up times but it can build unwanted back pressure if not sized properly.

If you need a specific AR size I would recommend contacting Jose@forcedinductions.
Im sure he can help you get anything you need turbo related.

Goodluck,
Derek
Though thats exactly what I need!!

Originally Posted by INTMD8
By the time you modified the entire internal area of the turbine housing enough to make a marked difference you would likely not have any exhaust housing left as it has as much to do with geometry as size.
Jim, although that sounded like chinese to me, ill forgive you lol.

I dont want to modify the entire turbine housing area, I just want to make both the manifold and turbine housing flanges a little bigger.

Again, I dont know how would that effect the performance based on what im looking for, ill have to research and ask, anyways if I do this it will be at a later stage
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef

Jim, although that sounded like chinese to me, ill forgive you lol.

I dont want to modify the entire turbine housing area, I just want to make both the manifold and turbine housing flanges a little bigger.
LOL, basically what I'm trying to say is that opening up the manifold outlet and the turbine housing inlet would do nothing for performance.

The turbine housing is essentially a nozzle so unless you were able to open up the entire area of the nozzle modifying just the inlet will not decrease the restriction.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
FormerVendor

It would do nothing for performance. Years ago we tried to port a exhaust housing bigger and all we gained was the turbo took much longer to respond.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INTMD8
LOL, basically what I'm trying to say is that opening up the manifold outlet and the turbine housing inlet would do nothing for performance.

The turbine housing is essentially a nozzle so unless you were able to open up the entire area of the nozzle modifying just the inlet will not decrease the restriction.
Jim, I know exactly what you mean now but I had to ask, hence the title lol.

Originally Posted by Turbo Tech
It would do nothing for performance. Years ago we tried to port a exhaust housing bigger and all we gained was the turbo took much longer to respond.
Ok the turbo took longer to respond, but did you gain nothing at the top-end? You must have

Anyways, ill see how much power the kit makes, am sure it will be plenty, but im just a pain, I wanna make sure I do see the 1000rwhp magical number, at least on the dyno (bragging rights lol)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid question needs an answer