Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

402 rotating assembly questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 402 rotating assembly questions

ok SCPC is running a sale on rotating assemblys and i wanna ****** one up before it ends

im looking at this one
http://www.sdparts.com/product/LS2RA...gAssembly.aspx

-2 pistons with 11:1 with 70 cc chambers

couple questions i have are,

- should i order more of a dish piston and get my afr 225's milled so the combustion chambers are smaller? not sure if haveing the same compession with a smaller chamber is any better then with a big chamber

-i want it pump gas safe, im told 11.5:1 is as safe as it can get for 93 octane, how many cc's would my heads have to be with this combo?

-i was going to order l92 gaskets (4.065) or will the ls2's be fine and not hang off into the bore? any one against useing a stock gm multi layered gasket?

-i plan on haveing a pretty decent sized cam in it as well, would i have any issues with such a small dish for ptv clearence?

-lastly if i ever decided to supercharge it would the Manley forged Pistons and
Ackerly & Childs Moly Rings be alright ?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

- should i order more of a dish piston and get my afr 225's milled so the combustion chambers are smaller? not sure if haveing the same compession with a smaller chamber is any better then with a big chamber
You should be good with 2cc valve reliefs. My AFR 225's are milled from 72cc to a 66cc chamber. However, be careful about milling too much. Tony from AFR did the work including addition port work.

-i want it pump gas safe, im told 11.5:1 is as safe as it can get for 93 octane, how many cc's would my heads have to be with this combo?
Depends on the deck height and head gasket. I run Wiseco flat tops with 2cc valve reliefs with a calculated 11.8 static compression on pump gas.

-i was going to order l92 gaskets (4.065) or will the ls2's be fine and not hang off into the bore? any one against useing a stock gm multi layered gasket?
You have to use a 4.130 minimum bore diameter head gasket when using the AFR 225 cylinder head. I use .045 Cometics.

-i plan on haveing a pretty decent sized cam in it as well, would i have any issues with such a small dish for ptv clearence?
Piston to Valve clearance depends on a number of factors. You have to measure for ptv clearance of your actual setup to ensure there is no contact.

-lastly if i ever decided to supercharge it would the Manley forged Pistons and Ackerly & Childs Moly Rings be alright?
I would contact a shop with experience with those rings in that type of setup. There are quite a few sponsors, maybe give them a call.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

well not trying to be cheap but why not just use the ls7 head gaskets

since they have a 4.130 and .051

save a few bucks if these will do what i need for the time being and when/if the time comes i want to supercharge it ill swap out the gaskets and put in arp head studs as well
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

alot of guys including my self run the gm multi layered gaskets they go by the name of mls gaskets if you didnt know. i think they are good and hold up great. i also use the -14cc manley pistons that Scoggin put in my 402
Old 11-30-2008, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

ok ive done some reading, im thinking the -2 cc pistons will be fine for what i want, but i have been reading about quench so im thinking i need a tighter quench to reduce pinging changes. so i was gonna use those pistons some Cometic head gaskets to try and get around .035 quench instead of a .041ish with the ls7 gaskets, figureing if my piston sticks out the hole .010ish, my last 408 stuck out around that so im kinda figureing it to be simular.

-2cc pistons 68 cc heads .045 gasket factor .010 out the hole for a quench of .035 and a compression around 11.6:1

sound about right to you guys? or am i wrong about qhat i read about quench and shouldnt worry?

sorry for the prolly dumb questions im just trying to get this motor dead on this time!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not doggin on sdparts, but call up texas speed, and they'll stand behind you for life.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DemonInside
ok ive done some reading, im thinking the -2 cc pistons will be fine for what i want, but i have been reading about quench so im thinking i need a tighter quench to reduce pinging changes. so i was gonna use those pistons some Cometic head gaskets to try and get around .035 quench instead of a .041ish with the ls7 gaskets, figureing if my piston sticks out the hole .010ish, my last 408 stuck out around that so im kinda figureing it to be simular.

-2cc pistons 68 cc heads .045 gasket factor .010 out the hole for a quench of .035 and a compression around 11.6:1

sound about right to you guys? or am i wrong about qhat i read about quench and shouldnt worry?

sorry for the prolly dumb questions im just trying to get this motor dead on this time!
Sounds right. Here's a good calculator to double check. Tip: Don't buy the head gaskets until the short block is built so you know the exact deck height for your motor.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
Not doggin on sdparts, but call up texas speed, and they'll stand behind you for life.
We'll take care of him very well. Thanks

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
Thanks for the referral!

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=885&catid=88

We have a 402 few rotating assemblies to offer as well at competitive prices. Let us know if we can help

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
We'll take care of him very well. Thanks

Indeed you guys did thanks again, i ordered everythign i could until i put the motor together
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonInside
Indeed you guys did thanks again, i ordered everythign i could until i put the motor together
We appreciate it. If you need anything else or have questions, let us know and we'll help you out

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Quick Reply: 402 rotating assembly questions