LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ss lt1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ss lt1 intake

my ss has the stock ram air style induction. i'm thinking that a cold air intake is going to be better. is this right, or is the stock ram air better? if cold air is better, which kit provides the most hp? i'm stuck between K&N and SLP. SLP looks better and is more expensive, but some say K&N provides better numbers.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, you have an ss, why would you rip out the ram air duct, it would make your hood useless, leave it on there
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

id say buy and elbow and a k&n drop in and leave it. maybe put some insulation on it to keep heat away from the tubes
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

i'm not ripping out anything. people say that the baffles in the stock ss hood make the flow almost minimal, and plus, being on top of the hot intake, the air going through the ram air intake is very hot. i was going to get a cold air intake and elbow. i wasn't going to touch the hood. and the intake is an easy take off, no ripping or tearing required.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 96 true SS. I had the same thing and replaced it with the SLP cold ait intake when my car was stock. I dynoed the car before and after and believe it or not with the right mods you gain close to 30 HP using the cold air intake. Not saying that SLP is the best one out there but at least I know it's a lot better than our factory ram air kits on top of the intake. No matter what you do to it, wrap it or whatever, it's still not going to do a better job performance wise, in my opinion it's basically more for looks and make the hood real "Functional".
What you heard is right about air entering through that hood, take it off and replace it with a better cold air intake. As for having the real SS hood not functional on the car like others said: So what? R u looking for more peroformance or more look under the hood?

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. did you get 30hp with just the intake? that seems like crazy numbers.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, not only with the cold air, at the same time I replaced it (Now it's supercharged so I don't have either on the car) I went from factory to ported TB, so the combination of the two gave me an extra 32 HP if I'm not mistaking. I know the TB wouldn't alone give you 32 extra HP but that tells you if you use a better cold air you'll gain HP even if the mod is only the cold air.
The factory SS intake is better than stock Z28s, however, the cold SLP is better than both, performance wise.
Let me know if you need any other help.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I swapped the stock "ram-air" intake for a K&N CAI and my butt-o-meter says its better. I dont have dyno results but, with autotap I can see the IAT is a bit lower than with the original setup(especially when sitting still).

Quick Reply: ss lt1 intake