Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

Hello all,

I'm looking for some help in diagnosing a noise coming from the rear of a 98 Trans Am.

Its not always present however after the car is driven for a while, say a half hour and on, if i make a turn or roll at a slow speed (I was backing out of a parking space when I heard the noise most recently) I hear a whine-ing noise coming from the rear and sometimes feel a pop or slight bang.

I've taken the car to three different mechanics, two said they couldn't located anything wrong, another actually told me that the noise was normal. But this noise sounds like bad news and my friend heard it the last time as well and was more than a little nervous after hearing it.

Has anyone had this happen to their cars or have a theory?

I will say I was sure to have the mechanics check the springs and shocks. Also they made sure everything was lubricated. Also the control arms are fine. (According to the mechanics.)

Maybe someone knows of a good guy in the NYC area who deals with these types of cars?

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Your particulars don't sound too good but after hearing what your mechanics told you, I need to just let you know that ALL types of noises come from these F-bodies. I bought a '96 Formula new back in July '96 and there were more noises in that thing than I could ever imagine, always intermittent, from whines and groans to thumps. I owned the car and drove 40,000 miles until I bought my current ride which also has ALL kinds of pings and bangs. Not as many but they are there. It currently has just 12,000 miles on it and is basically new. I have never had either car in for repairs. The dealerships for both cars always gave it a clean bill of health and said things are fine and just the nature of the beast. You may have something wrong with your car but realize that some of these noises are typical and don't require repair. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Your particulars don't sound too good but after hearing what your mechanics told you, I need to just let you know that ALL types of noises come from these F-bodies. I bought a '96 Formula new back in July '96 and there were more noises in that thing than I could ever imagine, always intermittent, from whines and groans to thumps. I owned the car and drove 40,000 miles until I bought my current ride which also has ALL kinds of pings and bangs. Not as many but they are there. It currently has just 12,000 miles on it and is basically new. I have never had either car in for repairs. The dealerships for both cars always gave it a clean bill of health and said things are fine and just the nature of the beast. You may have something wrong with your car but realize that some of these noises are typical and don't require repair. Good luck!
Sorry but if the car is bone stock there should be no noises.

Anthony98Transam search the general maintenance & repair section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...e-repairs-102/
Also search the axle section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/
Sounds kinda like the something is wrong with the rear axle.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sorry but if the car is bone stock there should be no noises.

Anthony98Transam search the general maintenance & repair section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...e-repairs-102/
Also search the axle section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/
Sounds kinda like the something is wrong with the rear axle.
Well I've owned these babies for 12 years now and I disagree! Both bone stock right down to the Delco batteries. Two seperate dealerships say it is normal and nothing wrong. Your experience???
Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Well I've owned these babies for 12 years now and I disagree! Both bone stock right down to the Delco batteries. Two seperate dealerships say it is normal and nothing wrong. Your experience???

I totally agree..

sounds like the clutches are sticking in the rear end. Change the fluid and get some limited slip additive..

here one of mine that i fixed.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...23-08_2133.flv
Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I've owned these babies for 12 years now and I disagree! Both bone stock right down to the Delco batteries. Two sepearte dealerships say it is normal and nothing wrong. Your experience???
The only noise my car has is a very low pitch gear whine at ~50mph-ish, hard to notice unless someone points it out. There is a rear bushing squeek that comes and goes(easy to fix, just needs some grease). Other than that my car is noise free (knock on wood), and I'm even lowered... The interior doesn't rattle either.
I think the biggest contributor is the fact that I have quality shocks that dampen the car properly, so no noises get in in the first place (like with the stock shocks).
But I've been in various other fbodies (stock and modded) and no other stock ones made any noises other than interior rattles from hitting bumps (shitty stock shocks). I've even been in an high mileage LT1 convertible(stock, owned by an older lady) which I expected to rattle, but it didn't. The only other noises I can think of from fbodies is in a friend's modded one, which has a shorter length torque arm that knocks against the floor pan when coming to a stop.
The noises will be coming from parts that are not working right. Like worn bushings(very common), loose parts (common is LCA's and panhard bar), rear axle, transmisison and engine mounts, the stock decarbon shocks letting NVH get into the cabin in the first place. They should not be making any noises though.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Noise