Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory amp ?'s (need help)

Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Factory amp ?'s (need help)

Can anyone tell me how the factory head unit turns the factory amp on? and where the amp gets its power from? I have looked at about every diagram I can find. the wiring harness has 2 orange wires labled "fused input". i take that as either being a remote turn on or the power wires. i was hoping you guys could help me out as there is no "power wire" or "remote wire" listed in the harness. i plan to replace all my speakers with aftermarket and an aftermarket amp. i would prefer to keep my existing wires rather then run new ones unless the crossovers for the factory system are in line somewhere i don't know about. i assumed it was all controled by the amp or built into the speakers themselves. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I could have sworn that I read that it senses thru the high level (speaker level) inputs.
If your planning to add an amp you could tap into the (+) going to the antena for a remote turn on. Im sure Whitebird or VIP1 will correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

ok after much searching this is what i found in another thread.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no remote turn-on wire at the stock head unit. The Monsoon amp uses signal sensing to turn on when an audio signal is detected at its input. Since Camaros don't have the power antenna wire to use as a substitute, your best bet is to use the RAP power wire - yellow wire in black connector.

You only need to tap into one set of speaker wires for your line out converter.
so it appears there it no remote wire. very well. can someone tell me what the orange wires "fused input" are? are they simply power wires? and i am going to take it they are not suitable for a power wire of an aftermarket amp?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The two orange wires are both battery (constant) power from the RADIO ACCY fuse. It appears that GM used two connections so that they could run smaller gauge wire and still handle the current requirements. Whether you could use them for an aftermarket amp depends on the current demands of the amp. If it's a relatively small amp (say 300W or less) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Signal filtering is all built into the Monsoon amp except for Firebird tweeters which have inline high-pass filters.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

sweet thanks for your help guys.

Search this Thread