Anyone at UT Austin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Fiery Features Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone at UT Austin?

My brother is starting at UT in Austin next semester. I'm not really familiar with the area and I am trying to help him find an apartment or a roomate near the school. Any suggestions on where to look?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zangel
My brother is starting at UT in Austin next semester. I'm not really familiar with the area and I am trying to help him find an apartment or a roomate near the school. Any suggestions on where to look?
That depends on his price range. How much is he looking to spend? In my opinion west campus is the most convenient but also the most expensive...
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Fiery Features Director

I think I found a few on the west campus that were around 1k a month. We're looking for something less expensive. He really doesn't want to live by himself, so I was hoping I could find him a roomate. However, if he has to take all the rent on his own, I would say keep it around $700ish. It would be nice if he could be within walking distance to the campus. He has a truck but I'm not sure what the parking situation is like?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zangel
I think I found a few on the west campus that were around 1k a month. We're looking for something less expensive. He really doesn't want to live by himself, so I was hoping I could find him a roomate. However, if he has to take all the rent on his own, I would say keep it around $700ish. It would be nice if he could be within walking distance to the campus. He has a truck but I'm not sure what the parking situation is like?
Parking is horrible so I wouldn't recommend driving to campus. Everyone that can't walk takes the UT shuttle. North campus is a nice alternative to west campus. It's a little too far to walk but it's cheaper and still relatively close. I would only suggest living on Riverside if you really want to save some money.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

When I was at UT (granted this was in the mid to late 90's), I enjoyed living in the Far West area. Aside from tons of apartments (most of which were nicer than the ones in the Riverside/Oltorff area), the UT shuttle ran out to several locations in Far West, most of which were within walking distance of the apartments. When I had to drive, I'd usually drive to the intramural fields and take the shuttle from there. It was pretty rare for me to drive all the way to campus.

Also, Far West has lots of duplexes, which I liked a lot better than dorms/apartments. We had a small yard, a garage, and it felt more like a home than an apartment/dorm room. My roommates and I lived in a three bedroom duplex and split rent/bills three ways. It came out to be very reasonable, but I have no idea what they're charging for rent these days.

What is your brother majoring in? Any clubs/activities? Being in band, I never had to worry about finding potential roommates, so if he has a similar interest with any reasonably sized group of people, a roommate shouldn't be hard to find.

-Mike
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Fiery Features Director

He took a few semesters at San Jac. I believe he is majoring in Journalism but he's not in any clubs. He's a really cool, laid back person so he would be really easy to live with. I just want to make sure he gets with the right crowd (I'm the very protective older sister)
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
LS7 Member

+1 on North campus. Easy to get to school with all the buses and no west campus cluster f***.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Fiery Features Director

Awesome... I'll see what I can find about the North campus.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know if you want a tour....your brother can come also
Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

j/k

and a roommate is the way to go, he'll get to meet a lot more people that way
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Let me know if you want a tour....your brother can come also
funny... but I do want to check things out. I figure I'll go stay with him one weekend just to see how things are going. If you are in Austin, maybe you could help him out and show him around..... get him familiar with the campus.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Is he going to be a freshman or transferring? I wanted to live in a dorm my first year to get the whole experience and meet people. I have no regrets with that. But, you can find much better housing north of campus like others have said and take UT shuttles to get to campus. No tips on roomates though, just have to meet people or look around.
The further you go away from campus the more room you'll get and the cheaper it'll be.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by BigSteele
Is he going to be a freshman or transferring? I wanted to live in a dorm my first year to get the whole experience and meet people. I have no regrets with that. But, you can find much better housing north of campus like others have said and take UT shuttles to get to campus. No tips on roomates though, just have to meet people or look around.
The further you go away from campus the more room you'll get and the cheaper it'll be.
He is transferring. I wish he could live in the dorms but I don't think they will let him.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its his freshmen year he has to live in the dorms, just wanted to make sure you knew that
Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
if its his freshmen year he has to live in the dorms, just wanted to make sure you knew that
With the amount of hours he has, I'm fairly certain he is a Sophomore.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I was hesitant about living in the dorms, but when I look back it was a great experience. I met a ton of people and you really get the "connected to the school" feeling. I would not have done anything differently. (Jester East).
Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
not at UT
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
I was hesitant about living in the dorms, but when I look back it was a great experience. I met a ton of people and you really get the "connected to the school" feeling. I would not have done anything differently. (Jester East).

Jester West was the best. Jester has a funny smell, but you get use to it and hell all the sporting events are walking distance. I'd recommend a dorm and a decent bike with two locks. They never stole mine
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Fiery Features Director

Do they let Sophomores live in the dorms?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Teching In

I second Jester West - The dorms are a great experience