Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

BAD CLUNKING!!! Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BAD CLUNKING!!! Please advise

I was gettin' on it in first gear, shifted fast to second and BAM clunk...clunk...clunk i was only about a mile from home so I decided to limp home. The clunking (more like banging with a sledge hammer) sound only happens when in gear going forward. If I press the clutch in and coast or coast in nuetral it doesn't happen. I also can hear it faintly in reverse. It is repetitve and very loud and happens at a consistant interval while powering forward. At first I hoped it was a suspension problem and jacked the car up and found that only one wheel turns when you rotate the wheel by hand. Do I have a broken ring gear/tooth/teeth? Posi? Any opinions whould be greatly appreciated. By the way it's a 4.10 gear in the stock 10 bolt with about 410hp/380 tq
Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: BAD CLUNKING!!! Please advise

Where is, or where does it sound like its coming from?? Does it sound like its right under neath the tranny??
Old 09-24-2003, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I can't tell...It's so damn loud it's hard to pinpoit it's origin. I also thought of the trans mount but the shifter isn't moving or vibrating any more than before. The torque arm mount seems solid also.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I thought it was my trans mount or torque arm mount. Went under there today to change the trans mount, but that's not the problem. The problem I'm having is that my ORY collector is hitting the u-joint. I can't stand the noise and won't drive my car hard at all. Hopefully it won't cost too much to have a little piece of pipe fabbed up and welded in.