Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need Help on Deciding on forging bottom end!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on Deciding on forging bottom end!!

I have an 02 camaro ss with 24,500 miles and was needing advice on building my motor for a supercharger. I planned on having my motor dropped and buying forged pistons/rods/arp bolts for my bottom end and having machine work done to it. Would it be better for me to sell my short block and just buy a forged shortblock from a sponsor instead and save money or is it cheaper to forge my bottom end?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just buy the pistons and rods and have a reputable local shop do the work. Where are you located?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Well if you have a good engine shop price it out. Otherwise you could sell your stock engine complete (if you going with new heads, cam, intake, tb, etc) or just the shortblock, recoup some money, then buy a fresh forged shortblock from a sponsor. If your not sure of a good machine shop in your area id lean towards buying a forged shortblock from a sponsor as it will come fully assemble and balanced so it would just be installing the top end and accessories. Almost anything you do yourself (minus the machine work on the block) would be cheaper but if you dont have the know how then id say hook up with a sponsor and get a well built shortblock. Tons of good builders out there such as weber engines, w2w, SDPC, Canadian Performance, Texas-Speed, HKE, EPP, LME, Rapid, Livernois, Speed Inc, etc, etc.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Can you give us some more info on your power goals and your setup?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to run about 10 to 12 psi on the procharger. Car only has full exhaust, gears, shift kit, and lid. Probably going to buy a 9inch and tranny but would like them to blow before I do.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

10-12psi is fairly modest. I would just buy some eagle or compstar rods, so off the shelf boost pistons, and contact a local shop that is reputable. I plan on doing the exact same thing to my 98 next year. For less then $2k you could have Pistons, Rods, Timing Set, Pushrods, Valve Springs, Oil Pump, Lifters, and a decent set of head gaskets. Around here $500 is roughly what a decent shop charges to assemble a motor. For as low of mileage as your motor is, it shouldn't need much machine work. Probably just hone the cylinders and be done with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

As stated above for those power levels you dont need to build anything crazy. Id say eagle rods (could go with compstar, just more expensive), stock crank, wiseco pistons (or mahle, diamond, whichever ones you choose), arp rod bolts, head studs (head bolts will work but might as well have studs put in while the engine is apart), some lq9/317 heads, decent SC cam (something like a speed inc 225/225), and 10-12 psi you should be near or above 600 rwhp.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

For 10-12 psi Id leave the stock bottom end but if you have the money to build a forged motor more power to you I guess.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out www.Exotic Performance Plus.com web site and see all of the forged motors they have build for ProChargers.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me tell you from experiance that the 10-12 psi you want will only satisfy you for a short time. boost is like crack, its assictive and you always want more! you could reuse your stock crank and block which will save you a lot of money. get some really good pistons and rods though, and ARP everything as far as hardware goes. compstar rods are a killer peice for the money and a nice diamond or weisco piston will keep you going for a long time. my best advice to you is call Bob from Exotic performance plus. he will price match anyone (most likely the cheapest anyways) and he has the best customer service of anyone in any industry ive ever delt with. give him a call, you wont be dissapointed
Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Contact Byunspeed and Speed Inc, they both price match as well as offer free shipping.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were me? With a motor with that few of miles, it'll be worth some bank. Sell it for a couple grand (people will pay that easily) for that thing if it's clean, and buy a short or longblock, depends on what you realistically want to spend! You can get 408 shortblocks forged for boost for about $3500 or so, pretty good price, already balanced, machinining already done, and from a trusted provider! Don't know about you guys, but it costs a TON of $ to get parts machined, especially if you want to go large displacement!

Tony
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you could sell that low mileage motor for a couple grand.

I would look into something like this for what you are wanting to do.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=42&catid=27

Get some stock 317 heads and throw some decent valve springs on there, along with like an LS6 cam, and you would have yourself a nice motor for cheap.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it were me? With a motor with that few of miles, it'll be worth some bank. Sell it for a couple grand (people will pay that easily)
Thats what I would do. I have had a horrible experience waiting on machine shops to build up the motor that I supplied them. Much easier to just call in to a reputable shop and buy a off the shelf motor that is ready to go. Then you sell your stock longblock for some descent coin and put that towards the new one.

Quick Reply: Need Help on Deciding on forging bottom end!!