LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I buy?

Hey all. I posted on here awhile ago saying I might sell my current car and get a 'camaro. I went back and forth on it and couldn't decide. Then I decided I wanted an LS1, but those are out of my price range right now. Anyways, the main reason I want to get rid of my car is that the clutch is going out and I don't want to pay to get it fixed. Clutches are a bitch on my car so it's expensive to do and not worth doing myself (already did it once, took 15 hours).

I was trolling around Craigslist and found a '94 383 stroker with new A4 for $4500. I would be buying the car right now, except that I kinda want an M6. What do you guys think? I really want some American muscle instead of my slow-as-***** SVT Focus. I could live with auto at least for a little while. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a killer deal to me man, and everyone always says they want a M6 till they get beat by an A4 at the Strip

so unless you just plan on street racing i'd say the A4 if the way to go.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

it all depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to race it I'd say auto, if dd I would get m6, but its always personal preference.. I mean **** I never wanted an auto till I drove my TA with a 4k Stall and I was sold it was all my little heart desired...he he...

ps. I love ls1tech!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

If its got a stall it will be fun.
IMO I would wait for a M6 if thats what you want. Plus I would also look for a stocker, you never know what your getting when you buy someone elses stroker. Unless you know the guy or the car I would stay away.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

manual is more fun, pretty much a given. wait for it..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AChotrod
If its got a stall it will be fun.
IMO I would wait for a M6 if thats what you want. Plus I would also look for a stocker, you never know what your getting when you buy someone elses stroker. Unless you know the guy or the car I would stay away.

+1 stockers are more fun cause then you see the progress when you do all the work to it...I love adding stuff to my car its so much fun!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nik1703
manual is more fun, pretty much a given. wait for it..
more fun till an auto launches you outa the gate and you see tail lights the entire time.

buddy of mine who cant drive for beans talks smack on my A4 all the time till we raced, he complained about this thing ive never heard of 'missing a gear'???

only other time i heard that was from a stangerang guy.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

LOL! Ive missed a gear in my old 00 A4, but I used to shift it. I got bored with it and went back to M6
Old 12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

just do what im doing. Buy the auto car and if you like it with a stall and sticky tires and some bolt ons then keep it auto. But since i wanted a m6 also u can get a complete manual swap on this site from the classified section for around 1500 bucks then just swap it out. If your a good mechanic then all the better for you cause you can follow the write ups on the swap. I myself dont work on cars much so i found a shop thats gonna do the swap for like 400-500 bucks. Im gonna keep my auto in my parents storage and maybe get it built up and if i ever wanna go back to an auto then i can throw it back in or sell it on here for a pretty good profit. Good luck on whatever u choose to do.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
more fun till an auto launches you outa the gate and you see tail lights the entire time.

buddy of mine who cant drive for beans talks smack on my A4 all the time till we raced, he complained about this thing ive never heard of 'missing a gear'???

only other time i heard that was from a stangerang guy.

haha! ...two words for all you, driver mod... M6 all the way...
Old 12-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Launching!

M6 baby! Autos take the racing out of racing with consistency. Isn't that the drivers job? Put an auto guy in a stick and see how many races he doesn't win, at least the gear banger earns his kills IMHO. If you want to sell a car just because you don't want to change a clutch you might want to look for an automatic stocker
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the thing is...it's only $4500 and the motor has less than 10k miles on it. If I got a stocker, they all have 128k or even 140k on the clock. I heard that the main things to check for are manifold seals, main seal, Opti, etc. so that doesn't sound horrible. Does anyone agree that as long as I don't beat on it too hard, an old '93 or '94 M6 wouldn't be a bad investment? I wouldn't plan on doing anything crazy to it anytime soon at all.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
haha! ...two words for all you, driver mod... M6 all the way...
Ha ha! 3 words for YOU..."Get launched on!" A4 all the way
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Still not as fun. Again takes the racing out of racing, the driving out of driving, and the fun out of fun. Hit the gas, hit the brakes woooohooooo! That is just my opinion. when I drive an auto I just start messing with the tranny, because I get so bored. Everybody has their opinion and that is just a difference we will all have to agree to disagree on. Bottom line is they all have their pros and cons, there is an *** for every seat, and a lot of different shaped boats still floats. Get whatever floats yours, but make sure you can live with it.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crookedbowtie
Still not as fun. Again takes the racing out of racing, the driving out of driving, and the fun out of fun. Hit the gas, hit the brakes woooohooooo! That is just my opinion. when I drive an auto I just start messing with the tranny, because I get so bored. Everybody has their opinion and that is just a difference we will all have to agree to disagree on. Bottom line is they all have their pros and cons, there is an *** for every seat, and a lot of different shaped boats still floats. Get whatever floats yours, but make sure you can live with it.
Takes the racing out of racing...ok thats a first. Down shift, up shift, wooooohooo! 1/4 mile a built A4 with a stall and stickies ownes your M6. Now that's racing
Old 12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crookedbowtie
All in fun bro
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmylez
Well the thing is...it's only $4500 and the motor has less than 10k miles on it. If I got a stocker, they all have 128k or even 140k on the clock. I heard that the main things to check for are manifold seals, main seal, Opti, etc. so that doesn't sound horrible. Does anyone agree that as long as I don't beat on it too hard, an old '93 or '94 M6 wouldn't be a bad investment? I wouldn't plan on doing anything crazy to it anytime soon at all.
This pic was taken 11/1/08 with 143,000 miles on the stock LT1 motor. 5500rpm launch. Yea my front seal leaks, they sell cleaner at the parts store. If it was a decently taken care of stocker m6, don't be afraid of it.

Side note:
I am building my Z/28 auto to replace this 'bird for bracket racing.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
the whole purpose of racing is to have fun, whats the point if all you do is push a pedal to win...

earn it and its even more fun. A4 is for lazy ppl who don't know how to run.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Well first... jump in... the waters fine. Second, don't by a 94 anything and expect you'll be buying anything but a place to put your paycheck.

You're going to throw the hammer on that stroker and... BAM! You're gonna be hooked and you'll look back upon the day when all you needed was a pricey clutch as the days of FAT AND HAPPY!

Don't say you weren't warned... Now swallow the blue pill and shut up and DRIVE! We'll see ya at the track.

On the Stick -vs- Auto thing... it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other and depends upon what you're looking for. If you want to tear around a closed course and need to sharply control your revs... OR if you want to collect points on your license by ripping through traffic... then the Stick is the way to go. I've run LOTS OF BOTH and neither is the perfect solution. As far as I'm concered the PERFECT tranny is the new electronic paddle shift... and that is purely from a theoretical perspective... as I've never driven one; BUT it gives one the means to control the revs AND it shifts itself when ya want it to...

But hey... for the purposes of this guy, let me close with this: My Z is a beefed up 4l60...; I run the 1/8th every week-end and on a typical Friday night I make 20 or more passes, which is only to say I see a fair bit of both... and I have not seen the SLIGHTEST advantage in the manuals that I go up against; what's more, it could easily be argued that the manual's are more likely to blow it out there @$$ due to driver-mod failure.

My car finishes the 1/8th at the very end of 2nd gear... So the entire race is one shift and it never misses... Most manuals are well into third (and I say most because I can't recall every single run, but I do not recall ANY that were not) so right there you have DOUBLED the odds of losing to me, JUST by having a manual tranny. Which is serious when ya figure that ya already doubled your chances of losing when ya staged up, cause ya didn't have my driver-mod... but that's another discussion for another thread.

Last edited by OVA1; 12-04-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Lets not start the typical A4 Vs. M6 for the guy..lol

I had a Stalled Auto, but I've always wanted a M6 cause I love to drive Standards, so I swapped mine over. That and I got sick of blowing up Auto Transmissions, so the M6 will be more dependable. That is my personal preferance.

Yea, an Auto might make it down the 1/4 Mile quicker, but lets see who can go to 100k Miles without a re-build..

Quick Reply: Should I buy?