Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

adding trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding trans fluid

anyone have an easy way of adding trans fluid? I tried today and got more in the drive way than i did in the trans. Any hints would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go by any auto store and ask for a hand pump that screws into the top of the bottle. Got mine from napa works great for tranny's and Diff's.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Remove the Shifter, get a Funnel and pour it in there..
Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

You can remove the shifter and pour from the top or use a small hand pump with a hose on it .
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Teching In

thanks. About to give it another try.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, if you don't have the car in the air removing the shifter is probably the easiest way.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

This may or may not pertain to you...and maybe Im being lazy...actually I KNOW Im being lazy about it.. haha

But I have a Pro 5.0. And after reading about the noise they make sometimes, I decided to really seal mine up. So I made a nice rubber gasket and sealed it with RTV. The idea of pulling it to add fluid just doesnt appeal to me. So what I plan to do is pull it one more time, and drill and tap the base for 1/2" NPT. Ill use a 1/2" plug, and then Ill just have to pull that, to add fluid from now one. So basically...Ill just need to remove my shift boot, maybe the console top, and then the inner boot. The stock shifter flange is too thin for this I believe. Unless you weld a bung on it. But the pro 5.0 is pretty thick and it should work fine.

Just an idea...like I said, it might not work for ya.

J.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a little hand pump, like stated about.. Jack it up, pump it in, and your done.. They are cheap, but VERY helpful.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
This may or may not pertain to you...and maybe Im being lazy...actually I KNOW Im being lazy about it.. haha

But I have a Pro 5.0. And after reading about the noise they make sometimes, I decided to really seal mine up. So I made a nice rubber gasket and sealed it with RTV. The idea of pulling it to add fluid just doesnt appeal to me. So what I plan to do is pull it one more time, and drill and tap the base for 1/2" NPT. Ill use a 1/2" plug, and then Ill just have to pull that, to add fluid from now one. So basically...Ill just need to remove my shift boot, maybe the console top, and then the inner boot. The stock shifter flange is too thin for this I believe. Unless you weld a bung on it. But the pro 5.0 is pretty thick and it should work fine.
That sounds like it's more work than it's worth to do something simple..
Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

Just an idea...like I said, it might not work for ya.

J.
If you have a 4th gen interior/console, you can't get at the inner boot screws without removing the whole center console. Just FYI.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
That sounds like it's more work than it's worth to do something simple..
Eh... not for me really. I hate cleaning RTV. And Ive had very good luck with the way I seal my shifter up. Ive had other guys with the Pro 5.0 comment on how much more quiet mine is etc etc. So not having to disturb that is worth it for me. Plus, Im sort of weird about changing fluids. I do it more on schedule or more often than most. Oh...Ill probably only do this if the shifter is coming back off for something...Not gonna make a special project out of it.

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
If you have a 4th gen interior/console, you can't get at the inner boot screws without removing the whole center console. Just FYI.
3rd gen car, 4th gen console. With the mods that I made to the console for it to sit how I want, I can remove the two bolts on the inside of the compartment, and then get enough movement to get to the little screws for the boot. I have a bunch of wiring and some hidden things built into the console, so removing is possible, just a bit of a pain. But Ide have to do all that to remove the actual shifter anyway...

I dont know. It was jsut an idea. I kinda wish Pro 5.0 made the shifter with a fill hole in it. But thats just me like I said.

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 12-10-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
I didn't say that..

Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

OF COURSE you did Merv!!! I mean...it has your name as a quote..must mean you said it right???? haha. Not sure what happened there. Maybe too much coffee that morning...fixed it

J.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

It's cool, I just noticed and was wondering how that happened..lol