Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 v LS1 abutment

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 v LS1 abutment

This is an easy question, but it's so generic, I couldn't find it in a search.

Regarding front brakes....
Are factory C5 abutment brackets the same as factory LS1 F-body brackets?

I was told I needed C5 abutments, and specifically NOT LS1 camaro brackets for a brake upgrade on my pickup. I found a set of Vette brackets, but the seller is saying they also will work on F-bodys.

Can anyone shed some light on the topic?

BTW, I know the calipers are interchangeable, just cast in different ways, but I thought the mounting locations at the spindle/hub were different between vette and F-body.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need conversion brackets to make the c5 calipers work. If you go to UMI or BMR's websites and find the c5 brake conversion kits they have available you will see all the necessary parts that are required.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are not the same. This has to do with rotor diameter and caliper width, more so than mounting points IIRC, but it has been a while since I did that swap.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

EDIT: was typing while you replied.. thanks for the info. Still confusing, cause I thought the calipers were the same width, being the same mold, just cast with a different process, but oh well.

previous post....
Ok.... maybe I need to explain a little more.

I have a source for conversion brackets to fit S-10 spindles.
Final setup will be LS1 F-body rotors,
Corvette or F-body calipers (don't know which yet... it doesn't matter, they are the same cast, just different process.)

The source for the conversion bracket said I need corvette abutment brackets, and that LS1 camaro brackets would not work.

The person selling the used set of oe "vette" abutment brackets said they are the same. Are they?

BMR and UMI sell nothing for an S-10.

BMR lists corvette abutments in their F-body upgrade kit... that would HINT that they are different than the stock F-body brackets. But not sure.
UMI lists the same thing.

I'm leaning towards them being different.... just didn't want to pass up this deal if they aren't.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are not the same. the points where they bolt up to the spindle (or wherever they bolt up to the car) are different. you are carrect though, the calipers are interchangeable.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The mounting bracket (one that bolts to the spindle) will be different from a F-body to a Vette just to compensate for the difference in rotor width. Minor changes to the caliper as well, but they are interchangeable.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Restricted User

Also, the C5 abutment uses 14 mm bolts & the LS1 uses 12mm bolts.
Dale
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome, thanks for the facts guys. There's so much mis-information out there.

Oh yeah, I did forget one other diff in calipers in my previous posts. The calipers, though interchangeable do have a different size piston in them. I tend to ignore that since I'm running an adjustable proportioning valve already.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy42083
Awesome, thanks for the facts guys. There's so much mis-information out there.
And in this thread.

Yes, the F-car caliper bolts require a 12mm wrench to remove and the C5 requires a 14mm wrench, but the thread pitch and diameter is identical. The ONLY difference between the 2 bolts is the head diameter. Either bolt will work in either application.

The mounting of each abutment bracket is identical. They will interchange in a C5 or F-car knuckle.

The C5 abutment bracket is slightly wider to accommodate a thicker C5 rotor. Other than that, everything is the same, including the guide pins, the reason why either bolt will work.

The real difference is that the C5 abutment bracket has a lesser arc on the outer portion where the bracket curves to miss the rotor hat.

Using a C5 bracket on a stock 12" F-Car rotor will cause the bracket to rub the rotor. However, the stock F-car bracket can be used in either application, either with a 12" rotor or the 13" C5 rotor.

HTH
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright... thanks. Part of my issue is using custom made brackets for F-body rotors, mounted on a trimmed down S-10 rotor, mounted on an S-10 Spindle. That's when "interchangeable" and "identical" become not so close to each other.

I'm guessing the extra thickness of the vette bracket is what is needed to clear even the thinner rotor with the oddball mounting.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F-body rotor is 1" thick and the C5 rotor is 1.2" thick if that helps.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The other X factor to check is if you end up pushing the rotor/caliper combos out towards the wheels, you need to make sure your wheels clear. I do not mean the wheel diameter clearing the caliper edge, I mean caliper clearing the spokes of the wheels. This is where the brackets come in, and that is why them not being identical matters.

Quick Reply: C5 v LS1 abutment