Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there any guide on how to do a head swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there any guide on how to do a head swap

i want to do a head swap on my T/A i have NEVER ripped an engine apart so i no i cant do it but i was wondering if there is some guide with pictures and everything that can help a newbie do his head swap thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.ls1howto.com
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

has anyone done a head swap just wondering how hard it will be and bout how long it will take
Old 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a nightmare, and if you've never ripped an engine apart, I would start reading up before you do so.

Here's one guide. It may be beneficial to have something in print in front of you.
"How to build High Performance LS1's" - ISBN 1-884089-84-4

THe other guide RJB01 listed is good as well.

You'll need an accurate Torque Wrench, Torque Angle Meter, Torx, a full set of metric wrenches, fuel line disconnect tools, plastic scrapers, taps, LOTS of paper towels, and a LOT of Patience. Don't skimp on tools - especially torque angle and torque wrenches.
Cleanliness is next to godliness...and if you get dirt in your engine, you'll bury it soon.

If your going to attempt this....I strongly suggest taking photos of everything before you do it, then referring back to them as a reference.

Based on my GM guide, you pretty much have to take off the entire top half of the engine. This is NOT a quick task and will probably take you about 6+ hours since you've never done it before.

Torquing down the heads is critical, with NEW bolts.

This is a REALLY expensive motor to be experimenting with. I'd find a knowledgeable buddy or shop to help you.

Last edited by TrickyTransAm; 12-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.