Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TSX Projectors 6000K Low Beams and Fogs in my Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool TSX Projectors 6000K Low Beams and Fogs in my Firebird

First I want to thank VIP1, Brian2006, SCRWS6 and all the guys here on tech for inspiration and support for completing this project.

Earlier in the summer I decided on a project to replace the stock halogen's with Projectors. Rather than just buying the replacment housings with HID's fitted into them, I wanted to do it right the first time and looked into projectors. After some research, I found that TSX projectors have the sharpest cut off and display the cleanest look. I picked up a pair from an 04' TSX from a guy for only $100.

Done with the projectors, I looked into buying the actual HID's. I noticed that some of the sellers were pricing HID's kits for either fog's or low beams for $200 and up. Buying from one of the sponsors on the site, I paid an expensive price for the 6000K Fog lights. Although I was still without the low beams, I wasn't about to pay too much for the bulbs and ballasts. Finally I found Brian2006 and was sold my Low Beams.

With all the parts now ready to be placed in, I needed to figure out how I was going to do this install right while still looking as clean and stock as possible. VIP1 gave me some links and ideas as to how I was going to go about this. I came across SCRWS6's thread and thought that would be a perfect idea. Basically by using the stock measurements of the stock halogen housings, I had a plastic board cut out to fit perfectly with the stock metal retainer. Then I centered, measured and cut out a hole fit for the projector to fall through. The metal backing behind the stock housings had to be dremeled out to compensate for the projector. Holes were drilled through the plastic and spacers, screws and locking nuts were utilized in securing the projector through it's stock mounts.

I do know that the projector is completely exposed to any road damage, I have yet to create a cover suitable enough for it.

To be honest, the differerence is night and day. I can't believe I used to roll around at night using stock halogens. I highly recommened anyone who is tired of dim lighting to upgrade to HID's. I chose 6000K because I wanted the purest white, and I'm very happy with the results.

Feel free to comment. Thanks for looking.

Projectors Mounted

Projectors and Stock Highbeams

TSX Projector

Side View

Comparison of Stock Halogens and TSX Projectors

Cut Off

Road Shot
Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work,im about to do the same to my ebay projectors,i bouth some tsx projectors to switch out the projectors tath came with the headlights,and if that doesnt work,i'll just retrofit the stock housings i have laying around
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

2001FireBird, nice work. Keep us posted on what you come up with to cover the lens to protect it from the elements and rocks. You might be interested in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-write-up.html
I've added your setup to the Lighting FAQ too.

98MNBZ28, Keep us posted on your progress. I'll add the results to the Lighting FAQ.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Has anyone tried mounting these Ebay Projector Foglights in place of the low beams in a TA?

This auction features for a pair of universal projector fog light lamps with bumper mounting brackets.

The diameter is approx 2.75 inches and length is approx 5.25 inches

This universal Projector Fog Light Lamp equips with Hella E13 certified glass projector in front with internal cut-off line.

Unlike other cheap plastic fog light lamps, it is fully glass with metal body with pre-drilled hole at the back, it is HID ready. The bulb size is H3.

Note: Since these projector lamps are mainly used for adding HID to fog lights, there is no harness included in the package.

TIP: If you are interested at any other items we carry and want to combine the shipping and save, please send us inquiry for the discount combined shipping and handling quote.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

I have seen his car in person and when I get next to him and his lights are on, I feel like not turning mine on cuz they are soo much brighter.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Thank you for doing the projector retro the right way to achieve HID lighting.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size projectors are those and what type of bulb to they accept?

Is that metal stabilizer housing in the front a stock TSX piece?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure what the actual size is of the projector, but it's exactly the same off of an 04 TSX. The bulb size is D2S.

What metal stabilizer housing? Are you referring to the cut off line?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Launching!

What did you use to seal up the housing?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So how much did all of this cost, both the low beams and fogs?

And with the fogs have you experienced any melting of the housing that others have?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check Ebay or junkyards. The cost varies depending on the deal you find. You definitely do want to find projectors like he did, though. You'll find cheap alternatives if you look - they are unsafe and illegal. (Actually, this is illegal as well, but it's safe at least)
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These look badass.

PM SENT!!!

Quick Reply: TSX Projectors 6000K Low Beams and Fogs in my Firebird