LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Official answer to oil filter adapter gasket question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Official answer to oil filter adapter gasket question???

Ok. I deleted my oil cooler system since I installed my LPP long tubes and I have searched high and low with mixed answers on the oil filter adapter gaskets. Here are my questions:

1) Do you have to use a gasket between the block and adapter?

2) How many gaskets should be used? (O ring and paper thin gasket)

Please post up whether or not you installed the adapter on to a bare block or used a gasket if you have been through this process. There are to many mixed answers. Please neglect from responding if you are just assuming or have never actually had experience on this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you removed your adapter from the block, which I did not when I removed my oil cooler, was there a gasket on it? Are you talking about the '93 in your sig? I'm assuming the '93 oil cooler would be the same design as the '94.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 AM
TECH Veteran

the factory oil cooler gasket leaked on mine between the block and the adapter, so i just ripped an old oil filter gasket off a filter and used it. 2 years later no problems
Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
the factory oil cooler gasket leaked on mine between the block and the adapter, so i just ripped an old oil filter gasket off a filter and used it. 2 years later no problems
I know which one you are talking about but that's not the one. I got rid of the cooler all together. The one I am talking about looks like this:

Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I bought an oil filter adapter from Sam Taylor Buick because I thought I would need it when I removed my cooler, but I didn't because an apapter was already being used in conjunction with the cooler on my '94. It did not come with a gasket. Perhaps the gasket is sold separately. Assuming there was one, can you not reuse the old gasket?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Here is a schematic of the '95 cooler. It doesn't show a gasket between the adapter and the block, but I'm not sure that means there isn't one.

http://shbox.com/1/oil_cooler.jpg
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically there is never a gasket between the adaptor and block. You could use one if you wanted to, I never have. No stock SBC, BBC, or LT1 I have worked on has ever had a gasket.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

On the standard oil filter adapter found on non oil cooler cars there's an o-ring, and a metal core gasket that goes into it.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks alot for the responses guys. It was just confusing since in other threads it seemed to be split and I know that felpro always includes that gasket with their oil pan gasket kit so it was confusing as well as to whether it should be used. I used one when I built this engine but I think I'm just going to scrape it off and go bare block...

ANY CLUE WHAT THE TORQUE SPEC IS ON THE 2 SMALL 7/16 BOLTS THAT HOLD THE ADAPTER ON?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
On the standard oil filter adapter found on non oil cooler cars there's an o-ring, and a metal core gasket that goes into it.

The thing that people don't realize is that the standard oil filter adapter is still used on the oil cooler cars or atleast it is on the Lt1. After removing the oil cooler system you will find that the oil cooler adapter is the same underneath as any other SBC...
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Got told the torque specs are 18ft/lbs for anyone's future reference. Hopefully this thread can sum up a lot of partially answered questions...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by connexion2005
The thing that people don't realize is that the standard oil filter adapter is still used on the oil cooler cars or atleast it is on the Lt1. After removing the oil cooler system you will find that the oil cooler adapter is the same underneath as any other SBC...

must be on the F-car coolers. Not on the B-cars. The ycars don't have oil coolers and use the offset oil filter adapter I'm refering too.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by connexion2005
I know which one you are talking about but that's not the one. I got rid of the cooler all together. The one I am talking about looks like this:

I have seen these installed with/without gasket. Leakage (if any) would be from the unfiltered side to the filtered side. Remember for leakage to occur , there must be a pressure differential. IF the filter bypass is operational, it limits the possible pressure differential. If you modify to eliminate the bypass, I'd use the gasket for sure.
Jay
Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Teching In

I got on here and did search to see if anyone else had a problem with the adapter "O" ring leaking. Mine is 94 Toad Masher with 220 k miles...unopened as far as I know (or can tell). I just pulled the adapter off last night and it has the paper gasker and "O" ring as above. It also has factory oil cooler.

Jay
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Not on the B-cars

THis is correct, the oil cooler and filter pad designs are different on LT1 powered F/B/Y cars, on a B motor car you need to buy something like what is pictured above to remove the cooler and on the F cars you remove the cooler hook up pad and the filter piece is already there ready to use just requires replacing the 2 bolts that attach it to the block with something shorter. I can find pics of both if someone wants to see them
Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO it would be easier to just relocate the oil filter.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 93 for sure already had the adapter there, and I did not need any gasket or extra parts to delete it.

I just too it apart and looped the cooler lines back into each other. I then took a dremel to the top of the studs to cut them flush against the bolt heads since they stick out way too far after the cooler is removed. The oil filter then screwed right on and has not ever leaked.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
My 93 for sure already had the adapter there, and I did not need any gasket or extra parts to delete it.

I just too it apart and looped the cooler lines back into each other. I then took a dremel to the top of the studs to cut them flush against the bolt heads since they stick out way too far after the cooler is removed. The oil filter then screwed right on and has not ever leaked.
+1 That is all that is needed.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck

Same on my 97, just got new bolts without the dowls. Cutting them would work fine as well, just be sure to do it off the car. You dont need to purchase another adaptor.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

You can just remove the coolant hose that goes to the cooler from the WP and then just use a shorter section of 5/8" heater hose to connect from the WP to the radiator, its the lower driver's side connection.... and X2 on the above info although I wouldn't try the bolt cutting deal...

Quick Reply: Official answer to oil filter adapter gasket question???