Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

ZR1 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 question

My friend got his zr1 recently and he has 300 miles on it. It started making a noise in the supercharger. It sounds like a intermitted gear or bearing noise. When I use my stethoscope probe on the impeller case you don’t hear it but if you put the probe 3 inches behind the belt pulley that’s were you hear it. Even if you put the probe right behind the dive pulley you don’t hear it. Now the dealer is telling him not too worry about it. They say it normal break in noise (now how do they know it’s normal if they have only had a zr1 too deal with before). Do you guys have any info on this noise or any other people that have delt with it? Also the dealer won’t give us the number for the performance center they said they are not allowed too.

Dave
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has a Warranty right so when it blows up it the Dealer's problem.Just make sure they give him some sort of paperwork saying they checked it out and it is a normal problem just to back himself up.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know ive never bought a new car, but cant he take it to any chevy dealer and have them look at it. Sounds to me like a lazy dealer.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Ive heard that is a common thing on the modified Eaton design. It is the lobes wearing into each other and the coating allowing the rotors to tighten up. Common in The Radix design which has three lobes so I can only assume the same would be true of the 4 lobe design in the R2300 in the ZR1. Superchargers are like women.... expensive and they never stop whining
Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
The car has a Warranty right so when it blows up it the Dealer's problem.Just make sure they give him some sort of paperwork saying they checked it out and it is a normal problem just to back himself up.
x1000!!

I've bought MANY new cars and have had a similar situation once. My oil pressure was extremely low on a truck I bought. I had paperwork showing I brought it in with that concern. Chevy bought me a new engine the next year.

Quick Reply: ZR1 question