Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

A little help on valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little help on valves

Howdy guys:

I have an '06 GTO LS2 with only 600 miles on it. It of course has the #243 heads but the solid valves and I'm having them CNC ported. I have an opportunity to buy a set of lightly used (whatever that means ) LS6 valves with the hollow stems and sodium fill on the exhaust.

The vavles are used and the guy says "... they have been resurfaced. The refacing of the valve consists of removeing .002-.003 off them to give them a new surface. The 30 deg. back cut is already pre cast on the valves machining it just trues it up to the 45 deg. cut, which helps your low lift numbers. Yes you can just drop these valves right in your heads (depending on seat condition), or you could put a valve job on them."

Not being a valve guy I just want to know if this is problem or not (using used valves that have been resurfaced)? Also, what would be your guess as to what they are worth?

Many Thx!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While they may be just fine buying used valves is like buying used underwear. I don't do it.

You can never be sure of where they have been.

Unless you have a control it's hard to know exactly how much material was removed.

GMPP has the kits that supply the LS 6 Valves. You will need one kit for each head.

There are also many other good aftermarket valves out there.

Robin

Quick Reply: A little help on valves