Welding questions???for real???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welding questions???for real???

ok...I'm making my own true dual setup at my house in a couple of weeks..I went to several exhaust shops in my area and none of them want to help since I'm taking the cats off...but I've convinced a few to weld it all together for me as long as I already have everything cut and ready to go all they have to do is weld in certain places.......I've already got all of my tubing(some already bent and formed like I want them), mufflers, tips..and so on.....I want to get everything ready so all I have to do is take it to my local exhaust shop and have them weld the pieces together.....I was told I could take a simple torch with MAP gas and either take a flux core braising rod and tack the pieces together or I could take the map gas and weld it myself with a coat hanger....I was told this by a few old timers..they say it will hold..but all I want to do is tack it together so I can bring it to the exhasut shop so they can weld it. will welding with a coat hanger really work and hold or is a braising rod better? were those guys pulling my chain..or does it really work?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

Yes you can braze with a coat hanger, it will work. Brazing has some drawbacks, for one you have to put alot of heat to the bas metal. Witch in turn has a tendancy to warp the metal. But it can be done, just practice on some srap.

LionelC
Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Why not get a friend to help tow your car there and explain its just a "track car"?

Make sure you have it set up with everything together under the car when you start, to make sure everything fits good. Also make sure you tack it good, a whole exhaust will be heavy and put stress on the spots when you pick it all up.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I personally think if you are going to all the trouble of welding with a torch maybe you should use some braising rod. I own a muffler and performance shop here in Fort Worth so if you need any help just ask. You could always put clamps on to hold it up until it gets welded.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

You are going to make a ******* mess of it going the route you are talking about. I second the idea of just clamping it temporarily. I dont know how good you are at fitting up the tubing, but it needs to be cut and fit up right with no gaps to get a nice end result. What side of town are you on?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
You are going to make a ******* mess of it going the route you are talking about. I second the idea of just clamping it temporarily. I dont know how good you are at fitting up the tubing, but it needs to be cut and fit up right with no gaps to get a nice end result. What side of town are you on?
I'm in Mesquite which is about 10 minutes east of Dallas
Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow.... what is the description I am looking for here..... ummmm something like.... the continent just south of Europe engineering?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Nucker rigging?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Nucker rigging?
LMFAO

Call up mr prez. nomsayin!