Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Difference Between a Procharger,Supercharger,and Turbo's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Difference Between a Procharger,Supercharger,and Turbo's?

Can someone explain the difference to me between the three. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search engine is your friend

Procharger = centrifugal supercharger. It is a brand name. The supercharger resembles a turbo but is belt driven.

Supercharger = centrifugal and roots types. Cenrifugal is described above, roots type is the type that sits where your intake manifold normally would, on top of the motor. you see these on factory setups like 03 cobras, lightning, etc. They are positive displacement superchargers.

turbo = Same concept as a centrifugal supercharger, only driven off of exhaust....no belts needed. exhaust flow goes through a "fan" and spins the turbo, instead of a belt spinning it like a supercharger
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ turbos are my favorite. they tend to be more money up front but more reliable and a lot easier on parts in the long run. when you start getting into the bigger superchargers or prochargers your start to need custom pulley setups and brackets and a lot of other stuff.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club

Read up on turbo's. Dont worry about the rest.

Chris
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I would like to add have had a car with big roots type supercharger. Have had rides in a procharged lt1 and ls1. And in a reat mount sts turbo lt1 and ls1. And in a few front mount turbo dsms thats talons ,eclipses and lasers and in a front mount ls1...mine.

And they are all big fun and work in their own ways. I don't really see any as being truly superior in the real world. I have seen great times at the track with all the above setups and on the street all of the above are plenty for any sane street car and can power beyond just about any factory car except for a few real high end machines.

So read up, pick your weapon and have fun. And plan on buying tires a lot! And try to stay out of jail and keep the shiny side up.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

turbos are the ****. i like to think of turbo lag as foreplay!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Procharger = Loud annoying gear driven noise that will drive you nuts if you drive it a lot.

Turbo = You dont even know its there till you need it.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roots and centrifugal superchargers will steal power from your engine to drive them, with a turbo you will not have that, but you will have a bit of lag depending on how big the turbo is and the displacement of your engine and other factors like heads.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Read up on turbo's. Dont worry about the rest.

Chris
I agree 100%,Ive tried nitrous,supercharger,and turbo.Ill never turn back.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by elias_799
roots and centrifugal superchargers will steal power from your engine to drive them, with a turbo you will not have that, but you will have a bit of lag depending on how big the turbo is and the displacement of your engine and other factors like heads.
A turbo steals power as well, as it is an obstruction in the exhaust system. Does a turbo steal as much power as a supercharger? No, but it isn't totally free horsepower. This is why a turbo makes an exhaust system quieter.

I have had quite a few people this past year buy ATI ProChargers from me who were tired of the hassles they were having with their turbo systems. Turbo mounts breaking, turbos leaking oil, turbo oil drainback problems, and the lack of being able to have a.c. with some kits are some of the problems with turbo kits.
ATI ProChargers for the most part are plug and play until you want to go with more than 800 rwhp as belt slippage becomes a problem that has to be addressed, so with either system you can have hassles.
Jordan stopped by yesterday and drove his 893 rwhp Z06 that has an F-1R on it. He was surprised at how quiet the blower was, although the air coming from the bypass valve was too loud for his taste. We're going to install a ProCharger race bypass valve that routes the air out of the engine compartment. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 12-11-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

F1A procharger with a race bypass here, LOVE THAT SOUND! love the service I get with Bob at Exotic Performance!

Quick Reply: Difference Between a Procharger,Supercharger,and Turbo's?