Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help now!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need help now!!

i know this is the wrong forum but i cant find help anywhere...

i have a 99 tahoe with a vortec 350..one of the piston rods broke off and instead of taking the time to rebuild it since its my only vehicle i bought an engine off a buddy of mine..

its a 350 out of a 78 k10

now i heard all i have to do is swtich the heads over and im fine..but at the same time the 78 engine block didnt have a know sensor or crankshaft sensor since they werent computer controlled...is this going to work..using the 78 block with my 99 vortec heads...please i need to know now before we finish this project this weekend
Old 12-11-2008, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you install vortec heads you'll need to install the vortec style intake as well. You CAN modify the old intake to fit, but I wouldn't know where to start trying to describe that. If you want to run a carburetor, you can buy vortec style carb intakes.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 AM

the car is still going to be efi and im using the old intake...but the thing is will the cam syn up with the comp there is no spot for a knock sensor and what about a spot for my camshaft sensor
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So your trying to install a 78 model block in a ls style 99 tahoe? That is just not going to work at all. Those are totally different creatures and cannot be mixed together its not like swapping a roller cam 86 or later block with one that has a 2 piece rear seal flat tappet here. Nothing the ECM on that truck has is going to work because you lack any of the spots on the block itself to even install the sensors or even have the counters on the crank. Besides that a 78 is a non roller cam block looks to me like you have a real mess on your hands.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

99 Tahoe should have the L31 350 c.i. not LS/LQ motor...the older block will work, but as you discoverd has no provision for knock sensor, you will also need to block off the fuel pump mount pad...cam sensor is in the distributor housing
Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Launching!

i think you will be better off trying to find the correct short or long block for it. i mean it will work but things like the knock sensor and the fact that the old block probobly is not set up for roller lifters to go with your vortec engine.I just see some issues with it. If this tahoe is a dd and your are looking for an easy engine change over i think there will be some surprises.but if its all you can get or afford then go for it. just remember you will need to either get the retrofit roller lifter kit or change over to a flat tappet hydro camshaft with close to the same specs as the vortec cam so you wont loose too much drivability.some tunning may be needed as well.