Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt swatp: Need Quick Answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10 Bolt swatp: Need Quick Answer

I blew the rear in the Camaro this past weekend. Didn't "grenade" it, but the gradual progression of gear whine throughout the 85 mile roundtrip is so bad now that I can't hear the radio over the rear whine. There is two distinct whines coming from the rear, which leads me to beleive that the axle bearings are shot too. Instead of rebuilding the entire rear, I found someone locally that will sell me a complete 10 bolt out of a 2000 M6 Z28. I am wondering what gear ratio was stock in the M6. The seller told me that the rear is stock with 3:73's in it. (I beleive that this is a typo).

If I purchase the rear, do I need to have the car LS1Edited if the rear has other than 3.23 gears in it( <font color="blue"> the stock ratio in my car now <!--color--></font>) What would happen to my car if I don't???

I know the optional ratio on the M6's is 3.42, but I'm not sure what the stock ratio is: 2.73, or 3.23???

Thank you all very much for viewing and responding. I've done numerous searches looking for the answer to this and didn't find anything that helped.

Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: 10 Bolt swatp: Need Quick Answer

All M6's came with 3.42's as the standard ratio - there were no options.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks
That puts my mind at ease on the ratio. This is even better, a gear upgrade!

What about tuning with an automatic? Any drivability issues by changing from 3.23s to 3.42s?

Oh, and the rear has 4 channel ABS. Which I think that it has Traction Control. I have traction control in my car. I think this is a perfect match
Old 09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure about the automatic equipped cars, but I think all you need to correct for is the speedometer. You can pick up a used HPP3 to fix that - a lot cheaper than LS1 Edit.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I believe the reluctor rings which are used for the abs system are also used to determine wheel spin for traction control