Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear changing Question???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear changing Question???????

I have a 98 Camaro I don't know what gear is in it stock and I dont have the door stickers to check if it says GU2-GU5 etc... Also what do I need to buy to change it? I want to put a 3.73 in I think but will that be to low for a high top end speed? also I dont know if it's 12 bolt or 7.5 or what any of that means? or what the hell a carrier is and if I need a new one when I change it. Can aome one help me out.. I do know that the whole rear end is stock... Any help with this would really be great, and a little explaination as well. Sorry If this sounds dumb but I'm pretty ne at this stuff.. I ran it last night at the drag strip and we only have the 1/8 where I live and it ran a 8.90 at 82 mph... but the guy beside me said he runs high 7's and all he has done is change the gear and installed LS1 edit and installed a 3600 stall.... That seems pretty fast for such a little amount of work, What do you think?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Gear changing Question???????

If you have an automatic, 3:73's are probably as high as you want to go. For a manual tranny, 4:10's are awesome. Also, if you plan to build ALOT of power, don't go w/4:10s, you'll never get traction.

7.5" refers to the ring gear size, that is standard in the GM 10bolt rears

I think "10 bolt" means there is 10 bolts holding the ring gear to the differntial.

12 bolt rears are definatly heavy duty, but aren't cheap at all. Hard core drag guys won't go without 'em though.

To figure out your ratio, someone spelled it out very well here recently, just do a search on it.

Read up on previous posts, theres alot of excellent info on this site, and btw, THIS is the best site for LS1 information!
Old 09-27-2003, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Gear changing Question???????

As for the difference in top speed, etc....
This is an interesting tool that you can use.
http://www.f-body.org/gears/