Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question aboout seating and installing valve seals...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question aboout seating and installing valve seals...

I'm still getting ready for my cam and magnusson instal, am waiting on parts and have a question...

The procedure for seating valve seals onto seats generally seems to be to place the seat around the valve and onto the head, lubing them and the seals, and then seating the seals by tapping them with a socket and small hammer over the valve until the seals click or seat.

Would it be possible to just lube the two pieces (seat and seal) and gently "press" them together off of the valves and head? With a vise or a screw type clamp?

After that, you could easily slide the assembly over the valves and down onto the head, some of those seem difficult to get that way around the cowl and on the back of the engine.

Would this not work or damage the pieces?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned

Bump...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Need more information. What heads, seats, seals, springs, etc.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Need more information. What heads, seats, seals, springs, etc.
Oh ok, it's a patriot dual gold spring kit, and stock heads.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

The spring seat is a separate piece that does not connect to the valve seal. The installation order is as follows (with valves in the heads):
  1. Spring Seat
  2. Valve Seal
  3. Valve Spring
  4. Retainer
  5. Keepers

The spring seat will fits over the valve guide and the seal is 'pressed' on the top of the guide.

Does that answer your question?
Old 12-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Banned

The spring seat is a separate piece that does not connect to the valve seal. The installation order is as follows (with valves in the heads):
  1. Spring Seat
  2. Valve Seal
  3. Valve Spring
  4. Retainer
  5. Keepers

The spring seat will fits over the valve guide and the seal is 'pressed' on the top of the guide.

Does that answer your question?
So the spring seat and valve seals do not "click" together forming an assembly?

Are the seals so hard to slide down the valves that you need a socket and small hammer? You can't just push them down with your fingers?

As you can tell, I'm kind of confused by different things I've read on here. Maybe I'm just overcomplicating things.

I just want to make sure I do it correctly and don't smoke like a freight train.

John

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-13-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joblo1978
So the spring seat and valve seals do not "click" together forming an assembly?

Are the seals so hard to slide down the valves that you need a socket and small hammer? You can't just push them down with your fingers?

As you can tell, I'm kind of confused by different things I've read on here. Maybe I'm just overcomplicating things.

I just want to make sure I do it correctly and don't smoke like a freight train.

John
No, dual springs have seals without an integrated spring seat; the seals and seats do not connect together. The seals do take some effort to install on the guide. The fit must be tight or they will come lose causing you to 'smoke like a freight train'.

It's not as hard as it sounds, once you get in there you'll see how simple it really is. Just make sure the seal is FULLY seated on the valve guide.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Banned

No, dual springs have seals without an integrated spring seat; the seals and seats do not connect together. The seals do take some effort to install on the guide. The fit must be tight or they will come lose causing you to 'smoke like a freight train'.

It's not as hard as it sounds, once you get in there you'll see how simple it really is. Just make sure the seal is FULLY seated on the valve guide.
Ahh, I got it! Does the set assemble in a way that the inner spring keeps the seals in position on the valve guide snug with the seat?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldnt just press them on by hand. I did my cam install and a buddie's cam install and both times tried pressing the seals on by hand. I would go until it wouldnt go anymore. Well a couple thousand miles later and both cars were using oil and smoking like crazy.

Next time I did them I used a deep socket (dont remember exact size) and tapped them on with a small hammer. It wasnt hard getting under the cowl area. Just dont go crazy with the hammer or you will damage the seal and have to start over. I just tapped them on until they stopped or you heard them "bottom out."
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

yeah use a spall hammer, and a deep socket. tap lightly until it bottoms I always FEEL them bottom. if you tap too hard, it'll actually crack the seal. anyways, just picture the spring seat as a washer that goes under the valve spring. the seat,seal, spring are not integral parts. the seat just falls in place over the valve guide. then you tap the seal in place. then you sit the spring in place, set the retainer on top of that. compress that with a tool (I use the crane cams tool. you can do two at a time and its simple)then compress it down enough to see the keeper groove just above the retainer. put the keepers in place making sure they are in the groove. loosen the clamp, again making sure the keepers dont pop out. done. you'll see how it goes when you take it apart. oh, use a magnet when you take it apart to keep the keepers from flyin across the room. just in case.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Ahh, I got it! Does the set assemble in a way that the inner spring keeps the seals in position on the valve guide snug with the seat?
No, the springs keep the seats down and do not touch the seals. The seals are an interference fit on the valve guides.

I use a tool specified by GM to install valve seals. It's made by Kent-Moore SPX.

Here's a picture of the tool that may help.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 12-13-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Question aboout seating and installing valve seals...