Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Maybe I'll have better luck here

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Maybe I'll have better luck here

Is there a difference between an LT1 WS6 and a LS1 WS6 hood as far as clearance?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your comparing apples to oranges cause the intake setups are different plus the hoods are not interchangeable between the 2 cars.
Need more info ?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Your comparing apples to oranges cause the intake setups are different plus the hoods are not interchangeable between the 2 cars.
Need more info ?
The reason I ask has something to do with an LS1 swap and something about a whining noise and instant torque.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd have to give us more info bro. Do you have an LT1 car or an LS1 car? The entire front ends are different ...
Old 12-13-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best thing to do to start with is to look at the underside (compare pics) and hopefully somebody else will chime in to give you some more insight cuz I certainly cant help with my worthless post here.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

what hes saying is that hes gonna but a maggie LS1 in his LT1 platform T/A

Im gonna say that the clearances are the same between a 98-02 WS6 with a maggie and a 93-97 WS6 with a maggie LS1. I say this because they are on the same platform obviously and you can do front end swaps between the two and the body lines still match up to where they were. For instance where the front quarters match up at the bottom of the windshield...same spot. The only possible difference I would see would be in the actual hoods, that the under side of the LT1 style hood is lower underneath. But after a quick look at both I believe they are similar.

hope this helps

Dustin
Old 12-13-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your looking into a Maggie you shouldn't be worried about the Hood you should be worried about the cowl. In any case I believe there is a kit to do this now but it requires putting spacers between the engine cradle and the unibody to gain clearence below the cowl.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
what hes saying is that hes gonna but a maggie LS1 in his LT1 platform T/A

Im gonna say that the clearances are the same between a 98-02 WS6 with a maggie and a 93-97 WS6 with a maggie LS1. I say this because they are on the same platform obviously and you can do front end swaps between the two and the body lines still match up to where they were. For instance where the front quarters match up at the bottom of the windshield...same spot. The only possible difference I would see would be in the actual hoods, that the under side of the LT1 style hood is lower underneath. But after a quick look at both I believe they are similar.

hope this helps

Dustin
I kind of assumed they were the same, I haven't started on the project as I am still in the research phase. I'm just unsure of the clearance towards the front of the intake between the two.

Originally Posted by LS1W66
If your looking into a Maggie you shouldn't be worried about the Hood you should be worried about the cowl. In any case I believe there is a kit to do this now but it requires putting spacers between the engine cradle and the unibody to gain clearence below the cowl.
The maggie only works with WS6 or SS hoods according to my sources but that is for LS1 equipped Fbodies. Only a very small portion (we're talking only about an 1" X 6-7") gets cut off from the cowl and the factory weather stripping is retained. The Kmember is lowered via a spacer which is why only a small portion is cut from the cowl.

Quick Reply: Maybe I'll have better luck here