Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPRING INSTALL HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPRING INSTALL HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

ok im using an air compressor...its at 60psi...but when i start to compress the spring its like it leaks out there..i can hear air getting out when i compress the springs....ANY HELP?
Old 09-27-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SPRING INSTALL HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

Tap your retainer a bit with a hammer or something, just to loosen up that lock so the valve won't drop with the compression of the spring
Old 09-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Launching!

At least you know that your locks are doing their job! First of all, raise your air pressure to 80-100 psi. Then do as Dave said and tap the retainer with a soft hammer or something that won't damage it. This will help the retainer let loose of the locks. Now use your spring compressor to push the retainer down.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

Ive always used 40 LBS of pressure and its been plenty, as long as the locks have been broken loose with a rubber mallet, etc.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i shoiuld tap em all before compress?
Old 09-27-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

When I did my cam swap I had to tap it after I compressed. I don't think it will make a difference if you tap them before hand. If you are really concerned you could try the no air method where the piston is at the top of its stroke so the valve wont fall. Do a search on that one though if you decide to go that route cause you for sure don't want to drop a valve and there are some good posts about how to tell where the piston is in the stroke.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that big a deal to spin the crank so that the piston is at TDC on the cylinder that your swapping the springs on. So what if you have to spin the crank 8 times. Your not on the clock or an assembly line anyway. Besides if your using the compressed air method you can do both valves on that cylinder at the same time. You can save even more time if you have 2 spring compressors and a spare retainer. With the piston at TDC the valve can't fall that far if the compressed air doesn't hold the valves up, which it should. Do you hear the air escaping only AFTER you compress the spring or do you also hear it before you compress it? If you hear it before you need to do a compression test. I agree with Mike K that tapping on the retainer before you compress the spring will NOT release the locks because of the spring pressure. That is what the sping is supposed to prevent. If you could break your retainers loose with a gentle tap with a rubber mallet when the spings are NOT compressed you'd probably spit the locks out at high RPMs. The compessed air should be sufficient to hold that valve up even when the spring is compressed regardless of whether the retainer gets stuck or not. The spring compresor should compress the spring not push the valve down allowing the compressed air to escape.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i raised it to 70psi...and tapped it..works great....4 down...12 to go