Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

need opinions on wheel idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinions on wheel idea

I have a set of chrome 98-00 WS6 wheels on my T/A, and after seeing another NBM car with gunmetal powder coated wheels, i really want to change my setup... however i love the 98-00 style WS6 wheels... would it be worth my time to trade somebody my chrome ones for their factory polished ones, that way i could have the centers powder coated gun metal or anthracite? I think it will be too much time/money to have mine stripped and prepped for PC. need some opinions on what to do.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sell your chrome ones, then buy regular ones, don't do a straight trade - that'd just be you losing out.

But I like the chrome rims, but I've never seen gunmetal on NBM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say keep your chrome rims and find another set and get those and do what you want to them. Just in case you don't like the outcome you won't have a set of rims that you don't like stuck on your car until you find another set.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

well the problem is i'm a broke *** college student... buying another set isn't really an option right now, i bought these chrome ones off a member here, so i got a good deal on them. i think a straight across trade would be fair. as long as the other set is in good condition. i'm at work now, but when i get home i'll post some pictures of some motivational pics i found that gave me the idea
Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRANS(AM
well the problem is i'm a broke *** college student... buying another set isn't really an option right now, i bought these chrome ones off a member here, so i got a good deal on them. i think a straight across trade would be fair. as long as the other set is in good condition. i'm at work now, but when i get home i'll post some pictures of some motivational pics i found that gave me the idea
If you do a straight trade you are going to make someone VERY happy.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Counted Out
If you do a straight trade you are going to make someone VERY happy.

you guys think i could really get that much for my wheels? i didn't think it was worth it to try and make money on the deal, it will take a long time and require me to go without wheels for a while.. which i can't do. maybe i should say trade plus pay to have the tires swapped... i just bought new tires i'm not letting those go.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6939048-post5.html

that's the color i'm thinking of... just on the ws6 wheels.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd keep your chrome ones and have the spokes painted that color (if you like it that much) and keep the lip chrome.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

trade with someone and get enough cash out of the deal to get the new ones powder coated
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'd keep your chrome ones and have the spokes painted that color (if you like it that much) and keep the lip chrome.

as far as i know, the chrome would need to be stripped to have a decent paint/powder coat job done... which is why i want polished ones, they are ready for powder coating. and yes, only the spokes will be done.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
trade with someone and get enough cash out of the deal to get the new ones powder coated
that is a good idea... i'll try and work that.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great. i would do the centers on the tt2's though.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not *totally* necessary to strip chrome to powder coat. If the chrome is in excellent shape with zero signs off flaking or other damage it can be scuffed and then powder shot right over it. True that it is slightly less durable as the powder doesn't have an optimal surface to bite into, but it can be done.

I'm not sure factory WS6 rims have a lip that is pronounced enough to mask and coat just the centers though. PM me if you need any help on the powder coating questions. But as a powder coater I can say if I had a choice I'd rather work with polished aluminum than chrome as a base, your idea is probably a good one. The factory clearcoat on the polished ones would need to be removed, but the increase in the durability of the powder would probably be worth the trouble on a daily driver.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imho and that means my opinion. gunmetal,dark gray, just dont work right together for me.

but +1 for doing your own thing for sure.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
imho and that means my opinion. gunmetal,dark gray, just dont work right together for me.

but +1 for doing your own thing for sure.
what do you mean gunmetal/dark grey working together? The wheels will still have a polished lip, on an NBM car... like the TT2's pictured above.