Need drafting software advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need drafting software advice

I used to be pretty good at using autocad to basically make line, drawings, and decent floor plan blue prints. But in its use, seems like many times its overly complicated to get something simple. Now I send out all of our shop drawings to a contract drafting to do for me. As of late its eating my lunch bad. He messes up, is late, doesnt return phone calls, etc. I need a program that isnt as involved as autocad that I can do basic shop drawings for fabrication/approval. Something that has the basic autocad line drawing functions. Linear dim, angle dim, snap, scale, radius control etc. The basics. And if it had the ability to create a template drawing page with title block that would be good too. Anything beyond what I am asking for would be a bonus. Can any of you guys recommend something you have practical experience with? I am for sure not a huge computer wiz and need something pretty straight forward. Looking in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks

Brandon
Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's quite a bit of freeware out there for 2d technical drawings. I'd try a few of them. You can get AutoCad LT for < $800 if you want to spend a little more.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used FastCAD and FastCAD-32 before and found them pretty basic. It's cheaper than AutoCAD.

I would rather just use AutoCAD LT.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Depending how complicated the drawings are you could make decent drawings with toolbars and a few commands. send me a PDF or dwg and I'll try to find you a program to use. I use ACAD, Solidworks & Pro E. AutoCad is not that complicated unless you get into the custimization of your own Menu.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

hey forget cad! go check out revit, its a pretty neat soft were or you could chech out inventor.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

AutoCAD Lt

Pro-E is best for piping

Solid works and inventor are for designing/prototyping mechanical solid objects (3D) if you eventually want to purchase a C&C then these would be the way to go. Benefits of these types of programs is that they are Parametric modelers, AutoCAD is not.

For cheap?! buy and just stick w/AutoCAD Lt since you already know the commands.

I spent 5 years as a Draftsman for an offshore HVAC design firm, got out cause it was boring as ****! So I went back to school for a graphic design degree.