LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam question for Emissions Counties???

Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Cam question for Emissions Counties???

Ok guys/gals I have been bitten by the bug and want to do a custom grind in my 383 LT-1 to really wake her up. Thinking of going Lloyd or AI, but haven't decided yet. Have one small dilemma, I live in Houston and emissions inspection is a biotch here. I know that OBDII is pretty easy to pass these days as long as you have a tune that will communicate with the inspectors computer with no codes as all they do for OBDII is the plugin test. However, I fall into that OBDI class where they still do the stupid roller/sniffer test for HC's. It is pretty much next to impossible to find an inspector these days that will pass a car if it fails due to the hefty fines. My question is what do all you guys with OBDI cars do in these counties/states to get your heavily cam'd cars to pass? I really really want to do this swap and get rid of this CC305 and wake my baby up, but if I can't get it inspected and passed every year it won't matter. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also, anyone know if Texas is going to eventually drop OBDI as Illinois did?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Ok guys/gals I have been bitten by the bug and want to do a custom grind in my 383 LT-1 to really wake her up. Thinking of going Lloyd or AI, but haven't decided yet. Have one small dilemma, I live in Houston and emissions inspection is a biotch here. I know that OBDII is pretty easy to pass these days as long as you have a tune that will communicate with the inspectors computer with no codes as all they do for OBDII is the plugin test. However, I fall into that OBDI class where they still do the stupid roller/sniffer test for HC's. It is pretty much next to impossible to find an inspector these days that will pass a car if it fails due to the hefty fines. My question is what do all you guys with OBDI cars do in these counties/states to get your heavily cam'd cars to pass? I really really want to do this swap and get rid of this CC305 and wake my baby up, but if I can't get it inspected and passed every year it won't matter. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also, anyone know if Texas is going to eventually drop OBDI as Illinois did?

If they are still testing like that it's gonna be hard to pass with a non emissions cam. Even with a tune I would say your likely still not going to pass. Have you spoke w/ Lloyd about this yet being he's in Texas? I would call him and see if he can give you better insight on the topic. As far as your cam choice goes..if you do end up swapping it out I would go Lloyd. Great stuff! Good luck Dave
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should easily be able to get some thing custom to pass smog and pick up some power over the current CC305.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

...and a solid tune is key + good CATS and 02 sensors.

I live in SoCal and OBD2 cars have to also do rollers + plug in.

I run the COMP XFI part # 7-466-8 and pass with flying colors.

as mentioned LE should be able to fix you up with a custom grind
Old 12-18-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea of the limits you are allowed for HC, CO, Nox? Standards are different every where too so unless you know for your state you could go to a lot of work and have to undo it. How are your readings with the current cam?

I passed Ontario emission test with 230 dur .600 lift 112LSA in a stock cube motor. Idle is the tricky part. There was alot of tuning done prior to having it tested.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flame
Any idea of the limits you are allowed for HC, CO, Nox? Standards are different every where too so unless you know for your state you could go to a lot of work and have to undo it. How are your readings with the current cam?

I passed Ontario emission test with 230 dur .600 lift 112LSA in a stock cube motor. Idle is the tricky part. There was alot of tuning done prior to having it tested.
Not exactly sure on the standards/req here in Texas. As to the idle, couldn't you just bump the idle to something like 1K to help reduce the overlap? I do a lot of tweeking on my tune thru tunercats so that is easily accompd prior to testing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam question for Emissions Counties???