Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TA relocation crossmember adjustability question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TA relocation crossmember adjustability question

I just ordered a BMR torque arm relocation crossmember for my Z28 (M6) and was wondering if anyone had any results from changing the mounting height of the front of the torque arm. I would think that technically there is only one proper pinion angle setting for a specific application and therefore, having an extra point of adjustability doesn't really make much sense if you have an adjustable torque arm. I know this isn't the main point of buying the part as relocating the mounting point off the tailshaft is why I bought it, but I was wondering if the extra adjustability was really a major benefit or just kind of there.

In case it matters, the related chassis/drivetrain/suspension parts on the car are adjustable torque arm, adjustable panhard bar, lower control arms and relocation brackets, driveshaft safety loop (all BMR), Moser 12-bolt, MN12 GTO trans, 3.5" aluminum driveshaft. I drive mostly on the street but hit up a few track rentals per year where I run 16" ET Streets and launch around 4500-5000 RPM (would launch higher if the tires held).
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The front is where you set the instant center / torque
reaction for bite, and the rear is where you correct
driveline angle (vibration etc.).
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I just ordered a BMR torque arm relocation crossmember for my Z28 (M6) and was wondering if anyone had any results from changing the mounting height of the front of the torque arm. I would think that technically there is only one proper pinion angle setting for a specific application and therefore, having an extra point of adjustability doesn't really make much sense if you have an adjustable torque arm. I know this isn't the main point of buying the part as relocating the mounting point off the tailshaft is why I bought it, but I was wondering if the extra adjustability was really a major benefit or just kind of there.

In case it matters, the related chassis/drivetrain/suspension parts on the car are adjustable torque arm, adjustable panhard bar, lower control arms and relocation brackets, driveshaft safety loop (all BMR), Moser 12-bolt, MN12 GTO trans, 3.5" aluminum driveshaft. I drive mostly on the street but hit up a few track rentals per year where I run 16" ET Streets and launch around 4500-5000 RPM (would launch higher if the tires held).

Jimmy is 100% correct. A good starting point for the crossmember is the fourth hole from the bottom. Put you lower control arms in the bottom hole. If the car hooks then unloads move the lca's up to the middle hole.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The front is where you set the instant center / torque
reaction for bite, and the rear is where you correct
driveline angle (vibration etc.).
Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Jimmy is 100% correct. A good starting point for the crossmember is the fourth hole from the bottom. Put you lower control arms in the bottom hole. If the car hooks then unloads move the lca's up to the middle hole.
Sounds good, guys. Thanks a lot. I'll try this when I get the part in and let you know how it goes. Since the last time I was at the track, I set the lower control arms down to the lowest hole as they were on the next one up. I'm having trouble getting it to hook if I launch any higher than 5000 RPM, and still get a little spin at that, but I figured it could be the tires not quite holding up since they're only 16's and not the 15's I was hoping to buy originally. I'll try to work out these new suspension settings before changing the wheels/tires.

Quick Reply: TA relocation crossmember adjustability question