Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

4th Gen F-Body Factory Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th Gen F-Body Factory Alarm Question

I had a couple of questions.

I just sold my 96 Z and got a 98 Z. The 96 Z has the keyless entry remote and so does the 98 Z but the 98 Z I got didnt come with the remote. Could I take whatever gets the signal from the remote out of the 96 Z and put into the 98 Z so I dont have to get it programmed or are the two parts totally different? If I can I will do that.

Question number 2 is if that doesnt work, can I get the remote reprogrammed to work with my 98 or must I buy a brand new remote?

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing is where is this device located that gets the remote signal?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike96z
I had a couple of questions.

I just sold my 96 Z and got a 98 Z. The 96 Z has the keyless entry remote and so does the 98 Z but the 98 Z I got didnt come with the remote. Could I take whatever gets the signal from the remote out of the 96 Z and put into the 98 Z so I dont have to get it programmed or are the two parts totally different? If I can I will do that.
No, you can't switch them. The keyless entry is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM) which controls many other functions such as power doors, courtesy lights, audible chimes, etc. More importantly, it controls the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) that checks the ignition key for the right resistor pellet before allowing the car to start. The BCM is programmed to match the original key and can't be reprogrammed so swapping BCMs would mean also swapping ignitions so that your old key would work.

Question number 2 is if that doesnt work, can I get the remote reprogrammed to work with my 98 or must I buy a brand new remote?

Thanks
Mike
Now the good news. The remotes are the same for f-bodies from 96 through 02. And you can program the remotes youself. There is no need to go to the dealer...the whole process can be done in your driveway in a couple of minutes. Instructions are in your owner's manual and also posted in several threads like this one.

Another thing is where is this device located that gets the remote signal?
The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted to the ductwork under the dash behind the glovebox.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info man, really appreciated.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen F-Body Factory Alarm Question